HJ belt, buckle, and cross strap

Thanks Received
I'm interested in understanding the proper belt, buckle, and cross strap to be correct for an HJ uniform. (with a youth brown shirt)

how hard is it to locate a cross strap?
should it be dark brown, or black? (I suspect black)
what are the qualities and attributes I should look for to ensure whatever equipment I find is correct for an HJ ensemble?

belt buckles are important, so I will seek these out...
the belts and cross straps are equally important to me to get correct, are they discussed in those issues as well?

Mr Saris - I know your materials are inaccessible at the moment...
I don't own the first issue you referenced, however I do own the 2nd - and unless I'm missing something, it's not in Spring 2002...
(I am simply adding this clarification in case a different viewer at some point decides to buy Spring 2002 based on this post)

I am interested in locating these issues, in case anyone here has these (or any other Military Advisor issues they no longer need and would part with)

I'm interested in understanding the proper belt, buckle, and cross strap to be correct for an HJ uniform. (with a youth brown shirt)

how hard is it to locate a cross strap?
should it be dark brown, or black? (I suspect black)
what are the qualities and attributes I should look for to ensure whatever equipment I find is correct for an HJ ensemble?

The leather colour for the HJ (14-18) was changed from brown to black in 1937:

If you are assembling a uniform display it would be easier to go for black belt/cross-strap as it's easier to find the correct shoulder straps/insignia etc.

In 1937 the colour of shorts for the HJ also changed to black:

If you have any questions regarding the correct combinations of uniform/insignia etc for a specific year don't hesitate to ask.

wonderful information!
Over the weekend I was trying to source some brown shorts, but now I see they are quite uncommon.
this is all quite helpful... thank you for the links to the other threads of interest!

Back