Hj corduroy (Genuakord) uniform jacket

Thanks Received
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Hey Guys, have you ever heard about this so called "1st pattern hj jacket in Corduroy?

If so, any reference?
Can't find something at this forum using several search terms.
I never saw this fabric and don't know if to believe in it..

Not for my collection in my opinion, but I can be wrong..

Attachments

Garry colourised a photo of a boy wearing a cord jacket here but other than that I don't think I've seen anything on the forum about them.

Then I have al lot to learn yet..
Never saw this in wear, exept the link in this topic.
Can hardly believe it was common, but I believe in your knowledge.

What do you think of the tunic itself? Shape/cuts

As for the cut, I think it's similar to these early photos here. But I have the feeling that these two here are more likely to be Velveton.

Attachments

Better pictures.. with trousers.

Guess it is hard to tell it is genuine period, but it certainly might!

Attachments

quite a unusual photo! those look like issued or civilian pajamas to me! i have no other guess.

"1st pattern hj jacket in Corduroy" is a guess by the person on the other forum based solely on the presence of the armband and HJ/DJ buttons. Regarding the buttons, these are a later pattern and at the time of their introduction the uniforms had been fully standardised and did not include cord jackets and certainly not long cord trousers. In the very early period many different types of "uniform" items were indeed worn but I suspect that if someone had rocked up to a HJ rally wearing this beige ensemble he would have been laughed out of town.

Although the photograph that I colourised shows a boy wearing a cord jacket, we can't see enough of it to make out the full cut and in any case, the photo alone doesn't of course act as proof of anything in terms of the HJ uniform generally. He may simply have repurposed something from his wardrobe at home for all we know.

There are many cases of boys and girls doing things/wearing things that were against the regulations and the various mentions of these transgressions in Gebiet orders and RJF orders are proof of this but do I believe for a second that a HJ chap wore the beige cord jacket and trousers pictured? Nope.

Back