HJ knife Eickhorn 39 with non typical etching.

Thanks Received
I realise this year of issue knife came without etching. It looks like the gothic script was added later as it doesn’t match the standard earlier mottos. My father in law owns the knife and I don’t have it with me to make further inspections, but with limited experience it looks genuine and apparently came from Jersey. I did see another non typical etching at the end of one of Whittmann’s youtube clips. One way or another I am interested in what the verdict is on this piece.
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I realise this year of issue knife came without etching. It looks like the gothic script was added later as it doesn’t match the standard earlier mottos. My father in law owns the knife and I don’t have it with me to make further inspections, but with limited experience it looks genuine and apparently came from Jersey. I did see another non typical etching at the end of one of Whittmann’s youtube clips. One way or another I am interested in what the verdict is on this piece.

I am not a knife guy, but it looks like a fantasy piece to me (at least the etchings). Also the scabbard looks brand new or re-painted.
Mike

The sheath does look very good but has zero signs of being repainted and only a small amount of wear on the end. I know very little about these knives but everything but the etching looks and feels correct. It also raises the question why wasn't the etching done in the original script. My father in law has had it about 30years along with the armband and stored wrapped in a quite impressive flag(black and white diagonal quartered with large central eagle).

An original HJ Fahrtenmesser with embellished/added motto. A 1939 Eickhorn piece should only have the trademark, RZM, and date on the reverse. Should not have a motto during this period. Appears that someone added the non-standard motto etching at some point that I would suggest was after May 1945. The etching reminds me of the fantasy types sometimes seen applied to S84/98 bayonets. Again post-war embellishments. See attached examples .....

Attachments

Yes I believe you are correct and the etchings are a close match. Who did the etchings on the bayonets? The embellishments around the border look like it could have come from the same place.

That`s probably from House Of Swords in the USA, early 80`s. Total crap, but they do look nice though.

Back