HJ Knife - M7/103 Hack Werks Steyr , is it worth it?

Thanks Received
Hey fellas , I came across this knife and I’m wondering the rarity of this maker. It was offered to me at 590USD. And I’m looking to add an HJ knife that has a bit of the “wow” factor for it , as there are so many out there. ID like some opinions please. I can’t decide between this , or a mint KM flag that is the smaller more displayable size. What are your opinions pls.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I’m not sure , I can’t find any information on that. All I can find atm is that the m7/103 is the mark
Of Hack Werks Stayr.

Sorry here’s the list..

Attachments

That maker doesn't hold an M7 licence in 1935 but appears to do so later according to this site although no source is given.

Ya I came across this list , I was under the impression that this was just a list of all the makers of the various items.

the seller said that this maker only made a very few as he was the “cottage” type maker who would pick up small contracts here and there to fulfill orders. He said that they’re still finding makers of HJ knives and that period catalogs don’t include all the makers , and that a well known connoisseur of daggers who has handled thousands of them wanted it. But I went with the flag anyways, there’s just not enough info on this maker to justify me spending that much money. There’s nicer HJ daggers out there and lots of them.

Hi,

The Mitteilungsblatt der RZM will show when that maker received a permit I would think. Jo kindly uploaded the pages for 1935 to the forum but for the years after that Wim Saris should be able to help as he used them to compile cloth insignia maker lists for his book. He quotes pages as late as 1944 being used so he may well be able to assign a timeframe to M7/103. Hopefully he'll see this thread.

M7/103 is not at all listed in 1938. Not before October. The highest number then is 82.
If they later got their number, I do not know. For that I have to go through all of my material.
As I did and here the result:

With the annexation of Austria a list about this country was published in later 1938
(Amt für Zulassungen Anschriften der in Deutsch-Österreich zugelassenen Firmen, 1938,
a special edition from the RZM). The copy I hold was from the Reichsjustizministerium.
With M7, now was included 103, being Josef Hack GmbH at Steyr.

As far as I know and could find, their permission was not withdrawn during the war. No
of it until late 1944, anyway!

Thanks guys , I ended up grabbing it Instead of the flag. I’ve wanted an HJ dagger for a while and this one from a rare maker should do fine

Back