HJ Pennant for your opinions

ewan0939

Thanks Received
Hello again,

This pennant was previously posted on the forum about 4 weeks ago, but I only just received it today, so I am posting it again with more photos and measurements as requested by "Jack"

It is heavy and very well made, it is double sided with both swivel spring clips working. The fringe at the bottom looks as tho it may have been golden/silver in colour originally ? but has tarnished in colour with age. The sizes are as follows:

48cm long x 28cm wide.
Side of inner centre square is 145mm in length
Full length of inner cross beam of the swastika is 135mm
Width of inner cross beam of the swastika is 25mm
Red Strips are 85mm wide
White Strip in the middle is 95mm wide.

"Crack" mentioned in the previous post it may have been for a leader of sorts ?, if anyone has a TR period photo of this type of pennant in use, could you please post it on this thread. Thank you.

I really like the pennant, however I am no expert on cloth items and welcome your opinions. Thanks again.

Best regards.....Ewan :spain

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Ewan, the construction, swivels & patina look good, I don't know what it would have been used for ... IMHO it is a good one.
Mike
P.S.
Here is a photo from OFW with period clips that look like the ones on your pennant,

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Ewan,
Regarding the measurements: most of them fit or are within a tolerance limit. The stripes in red and white should of course have the same width here, the inner square at least 1 cm more of length. But. I have compared three industrially made armbands with regard to the square, not one of them complies with the regulations ;-), whereas all the other measurements fit. One is not even a real square anymore. It's also possible that the things warp.
So overall I would give your flag a thumbs up. The look, seams etc. also fit.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your comments and photos of period clips. I like the pennant, it is a nice size to frame. I hope maybe to find a TR period photo of one in use, i can only guess used as a podium/desk pennant.

Good morning Jack,

Thank you for your time looking at all the various measurements, and its great to see you give the pennant a thumbs up. It is a strange size, and does not really fall into the normal size categories for a HJ flag, pennant etc. Do you think it was privately made ? and for what purpose ?

Good morning, Ewan,

No problem. That' s just what I think about it.

The pennant might have been on a desk or in a study, traditon room, with a pretty wooden stand perhaps. Some kind of leader. But enough speculation now ;-).

I think it could have been done privately by someone very experienced with sewing, or possibly by a professional tailor. But certainly not someone with RZM approval, because of the divergence from the specifications. It looks as if the tips of the square end exactly in the middle of the red stripes, on purpose. That's a nice idea, but it just doesn't meet the specifications.

The length of the flag does not matter to the regulation-minded people of the RZM. Anything is possible.
The regulations only state that a harmonious relationship between symbol and flag width must be ensured. Therefore, the length is arbitrary and all measurements refer to the width.

Hi Jack,

Thank you, for your opinion in reference to the pennant's probable use. Reading all your comments to the size and construction of the pennant. I am now happy it is an original HJ pennant privately made during the TR period. I frame and wall mount it, among my other HJ items.

Best regards.....Ewan :spain

Back