HJ-Postsparkarte

Thanks Received
Nice HJ-Postsparkarte, unfortunately the personal data is crossed out. However, it looks like it belonged to a member of the DJ.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Nice. Yes, looks to be "Fähnlein 5 16" so if that is supposed to be 5/16 that would be somewhere in Köln. Jack or Henrik should be able to decipher the address line to either confirm or deny that.

These cards were phased out in 1941 in favour of the newly introduced "Sparmarkenheft für die Hitler-Jugend" (image). At that time all savings were transferred to the new system so perhaps the name etc on the card were cancelled out then. Seems a bit rough to have been done by a bank though.

So, on the fly, I can see that the first name is Alois, the DOB is probably 2 September 192... The word you read as Fähnlein is Jungbann, Garry. But I couldn't have interpreted it for sure either, but everything else fits perfectly. I was sure the following was the Bann number. So we have: 516, St. Pölten/Niederösterreich/Lower Austria. On the next line we find: Hermannschacht, Ober-Buhr.? That doesn't really make sense. At the bottom is the house number, 83, and Hermannschacht again. In villages it was common not to have a street name because there was only one anyway.
The postmark also helps us a bit, although it is unfortunately a bit thin: Öberwölbl...; and there is only Oberwölbling near St. Pölten, about 10 kilometres north of the city. And that's also where the village Hermannschacht can be found right next door.
As to the dating: I think the postmark says: 14.10.(19)4.... Unfortunately, I cannot decipher the last digit of the year.

No, not at all, Garry. I couldn't read that for sure either. My first thought was: Einheit/unit. But that didn't match the letters either. I was just as wrong there. Fortunately, there were a few more clues (the lack of which makes the interpretation of the signature so difficult).
Of course, it would have been much more effective to just throw the data in here. :LOL:
But as it should be, I also want people to be able to understand the conclusions (especially since they don't always have to be correct).
And you're absolutely right: there's no way the post office has made this so unrecognisable.

Thanks so much Gary and Jack for the information. I am attaching a picture that might make it easier to see the text.

Attachments

Thanks so much Gary and Jack for the information. I am attaching a picture that might make it easier to see the text.

Good evening all,

Great detective work Garry and Jack, bringing history back to life.

Best regards...Ewan

Back