HJ Sportschule stop watch

Mat

Thanks Received
Asking for help with a stop watch I have found. The item is in a case marked Gustav Schulze Munchen..from what I research he was a clock/watch maker...stop watch is a junghans and on the back is inscribed HJ Sportschule Braunau/Schl....any information would be helpful..thank you

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi there,

Stopwatches were awarded as prizes sometimes or were simply on the inventory and this one is marked as having come from Reichssportschule 1 Braunau (Gebiet 4 Niederschlesien). This Braunau is now in Poland and is called Brunów. Seems odd that the engraver would have missed off "Reichs" though. Have you looked into the company marked on the box?

The box is Gustav Schultze Munchen....from what I can tell he was a clock/watch maker.. the box says clock maker to the courts. May just be they put the piece in this box...it does fit well and seems to have been matching set....do you feel it authentic? I did my best to translate the box... Would have Gustav Schultze sold the piece to the Hitler Youth?

Yes, I wouldn't think that the box and watch were originally together. The watch makes a good impression but with non-standardised items like this it's always going to be difficult to say unequivocally that the watch was period-engraved for that school. Perhaps the way to go would be to examine the inside of the watch or perform other checks to see how old it is.

Just two or three thoughts to confirm Garry. I don't think the fit in the case exactly matches the watch.
The stopwatch is in itself more of a low-end watch, the case manufacturer court supplier (I don't want to badmouth this stopwatch, but imagine a 750 (18k) gold pocket watch as the contents here.
The case is also older, as it says "Hoflieferant" and not "vormals (abbreviated vorm./former) Hoflieferant" - i.e. before 1918.
And monarchists and Nazis hated each other - they were absolutely mutually exclusive, so HJ and the emphasis on Hoflieferant do not go together.

Braunau was a small village with 500 inhabitants in 1939. I assume the sports school will have been in the small palace in that village?

I will be taking to a watch restoration shop in Houston this weekend along with a time piece I picked up. they are going service the movement and clean it but leave it the original patina. I am not a collector of Nazi items but couldn't pass it up. I collect watches and really enjoy military's issue time pieces. I have some knowledge of stop watches related to military use but this one was really came out of the blue. I have seen some nice stop watches but they were made for the Olympics by Omega. I like putting the puzzle pieces together and seeing how the story comes out. I'm hoping the watchmaker can give me better incite. I found a picture of the school in question and may try to do some prints of it. Hopefully I can find out some history to write and have a nice display. Thank you everyone for your input.

Back