IG Farben color cards?

AHR

Thanks Received
Looking through the regulations in Herstellungsvorschriften für parteiamtliche Bekleidungsstücke und Aurüstungsgegenstände (RZM 1936) I keep seeing references to "Farbkarten der IG-Farbenindustrie" ("color cards from IG Farben Industry")

Has anyone ever seen these cards, or know if at least the color specifications might have been cross-referenced to a palette still in use? It would be nice to know what exactly the "HJ Gray" that extant originals show looked like before it was sunbleached or sat in an attic for seventy years.

The like should be found in publications of IG Farben or their successors.
Something like that:
Richtlinien für die Kennzeichnung von Färbungen bzw. Drucken mit dem "Indanthren"-Etikett (1934/new 1957).

Since I don't own it myself, I unfortunately can't post a colour example here.

Reactions: AHR
Thank you gentlemen!
I do see that book on ZVAB - is it a guess, or do we know for sure it has color samples?
Amann - nice! I see thread samples for sale - is that what you're talking about, Mr. Saris?

you can't compare a todays color cart of Amann with the Third Reich version.
In those days the color list included over 1,000 colors; the lists of Amann these days do include just 300.
I do own a color chart of these days.
By that a shade variation of 10% was permitted by the RZM. In volume 3 of the series "Headgear of
Hitler's Germany" I showed a color difference of 10% on page 534 and that was not even quite close.

Here a survey of the colors blue of the todays list. Imagine this plus three times for the Third Reich!

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Last edited:
Yes, the small booklet contains samples. The text says so:
Approx. 115 cotton fabric samples approx. 4.3 x 2.2 cm, dyed in various Indanthren colours.

Of course, I cannot say whether the HJ versions are included.

Well, I ordered the book. The seller said it had greens and browns, but no grays. On the other hand, perhaps it will reference an international color standard that can be cross-referenced. If anything useful comes of it, I'll post it here. Thank you both!

I hope that this book can bring you new insights.
Indanthrene colours are very intense and bright. Brown shirts in particular are known for this.

Back