Introduction of zinc hilts on the HJ knife?

crack

Thanks Received
Zamak 2 was introduced as the zinc alloy to be used on the HJ knife in Nov 1938 but Zamak 2 obviously hints at a previous alloy named Zamak 1. Does anyone know exactly when Zamak (zinc) hilts were first used on the HJ knife? It is commonly said that zinc was introduced on the knife in 1937 but I haven't seen proof of that on the forum - only for Zamak 2 in Nov 1938.

I have no definitive answer to your questions but a couple of thoughts come to mind. Zamak was of course used on other items; small badges, belt buckles, etc. Perhaps the Zamak 1 alloy was never used in/for the production of the HJ knife. And therefore the November 1938 information regarding the use of Zamak 2 is all we may have for the use of these alloys and HJ knives. Just a thought ....

Many thanks Kriegsmodell. Hopefully more will come to light on the introduction date for zinc on the HJ knife. Just interests me that collectors say 1937 although I haven't seen any proof for that.

It came from me. Are there not small badges and/or tinnies made of Zamak? Am I mistaken?
The first time I`ve ever heard that word is on this thread :whoo:
If you mean zink, or Feinzink, then sure, but I`m assuming that Zamack must be something else, hence the strange name?
Never read that word in reference to small badges, medals and awards before in any period paper.

In my understanding Zamak is a zink alloy.

In answer to Wilhelm; the information regarding the use of Zamak 2 in construction of HJ knife hilts was posted by the member crack.
Oh, OK, I`ve only ever read it referenced as Zink, or Feinzink, and never as Zamack. I`d think that if there was a special German name for it - "Zamack 1 & 2" then it can`t be just normal Zink or Feinzink, and badges won`t be made from it.

Can you show us this November 1938 information regarding the Zamak please?

Hi Wim,

Don't want to put words in Crack's mouth but he may have found that in the HJ-Wiki article on the HJ knife (<--click). Info comes from you originally actually :001_smile: See your original post here.

The source document showing Zamak 2d being introduced is: Mbl. der RZM nr. 24 dated November 19, 1938. Does that source mention that a previous zinc alloy had been in use on the HJ knife prior to Zamak 2d?

Hi Wim,

Don't want to put words in Crack's mouth but he may have found that in the HJ-Wiki article on the HJ knife (<--click). Info comes from you originally actually :001_smile: See your original post here.

The source document showing Zamak 2d being introduced is: Mbl. der RZM nr. 24 dated November 19, 1938. Does that source mention that a previous zinc alloy had been in use on the HJ knife prior to Zamak 2d?

haha yes I got that information on the HJ wiki page Garry :biggrin1:

I did not remember where this word was mentioned, maybe this is caused by aging
(thanks Garry reminding me), but checking it is indeed noted: Zamak 2.

It was literally said: Zur Herstellung von HJ- und DJ Fahrtenmessergriffen wird als
zweiter Werkstoff Zinkspritzguss Marke "Zamak 2" zugelassen
. It was mentioned in
an addendum page, numbered page 247: Mitteilungsblatt, Ausgabe 24 from November
19, 1938. It was not mentioned what product was the first used material, but it was
Temperguss. So, Zamak is in fact the brand (trademark), the material was zinkspritzguss.

In the 1938 RZM manufacturing regulations it was said: garantiert porenfreier Temperguss,
sehr gut haltbar vernickelt (Temperguss ist eine Gusseisensorte, die aufgrund ihrer
chemischen Zusammensetzung und des Erstarrungsvorgangs nach dem metastabilen
System des Eisen-Kohlenstoff-Diagramms graphitfrei erstarrt und als vorerst harter,
spröder Temperrohguss in der Gussform entsteht). Gusseisen = cast iron.

With the SA (NSKK) dagger the two materials were mentioned. The word Zamak 2 was
not used, but Zinkspritzguss (cast work zinc).

If it ever was used for other products, I do not know. Can't remember it having seen
used with buckles.

Many thanks Wim. For those who don't read german the Mbl. says that Zamak 2d was "permitted as an additional material for the manufacture of HJ/DJ knife handles". Temperguss (iron) is mentioned as having been in use prior to the addition of Zamak 2d so Wim's source from Nov 1938 clearly shows the beginning of the transition from iron to zinc handles on the HJ knife. Nice :thumb:

Back