JR Angolia books

B-RAD

Thanks Received
Another couple insane prices from Ratisbons check out the prices the 2 Angolia books sold for

Part 1 $453.00 us and Part 2 $455.00 us

There were a lot of high bids at that auction - below the most expensive HJ knife I have ever seen - Total price € 3.760,75 :clap2:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

I bought my first HJ knife in 1976 - and i paid € 30,- for it :lol: Those were the days.

Michael :denmark

Attachments

There were a lot of high bids at that auction - below the most expensive HJ knife I have ever seen - Total price € 3.760,75 :clap2:

I bought my first HJ knife in 1976 - and i paid € 30,- for it :lol: Those were the days.

Yeah those were the days, in 1963 I was offered an HJ knife for $5.00. I didn't buy it.
Mike

Is there something special about that particular knife that I can't see?

It's the bag, I think. BUT ... an astronomical price, nevertheless. And I scaled the pic a bit. Either the high bidder got a copy - or I have an authentic bag :lol:. I'd prefer the latter of course, but ... please look at these pics:

There are some typos.
Unfortunately, the second example is mine (same type as in the auction).

Attachments

Hi Jack

I've been browsing a lot of the internet to see what I could find about pictures of A.S. HJ knife bags.I found 3 pics - Johnson + DG Militaria + unknown - all 3 are similar to No. 2 on the previous post - and at Ratisbons.

I can see your point with respect to the 2 S's and the German character for double S. and the other points you raised. But I have 2 pieces myself. - see photos - and both double S and the German character are used for double S. And I know that both my bags are originals and belonging to the knifes.

So maybe your bags is original?

Attachments

Hej Michael,

your bags are original, no doubt. But - with greatest respect - I can't see a refutation of my opinion. Yours have a typical period lettering. Left one, the Henckels: Of course is "Fahrtenmesser" only correct spelled with double-s, because the "sharp s", the ß, was only used at the end of a word, if "short spoken". Never "Meßer", which would be completely wrong. So all is fine here.
Right one, the Louper: everything perfect, the "vorschriftmäßiges" (because "long spoken", derived from "Maß") as well as "Gußstahl" (short spoken, end of the word "Guß"). In both cases the "ß" is correct and was used here.

Not in my example: The font is rather modern looking and like plotted, not printed. There is no shining/gloss of the printing ink. And why should the maker use the correct "Gußstahl", but should forget the "ß" in "vorschriftsmäßig" at the same time and type "vorschriftmässig" instead of the correct form??? This makes no sense to me. And these rules of correct German spelling were abolished only in 1998.

And if you look at the close-up picture, you see some mysterious coloured metallic particles in the very rough paper which I think to be modern too.

Second argument: My pic above in the previous post shows a perfect spelled and period looking counterpart of the Schüttelhöfer, with an old fashioned font. So they exist, the period Schüttelhöfer bags ;-).

Kind Regards,
Jack

Attachments

Last edited:
For comparison, here is the mentioned, doubtlessly genuine Schüttelhöfer bag again, from an internet auction some time ago (prof seller too).
Font, spelling - everything is correct and fine looking. And no recycled paper ;-)

Attachments

Prices are occasionally absurd.
Is it while it is so rare (which it isn't) or is the buyer a fool?
Or the person has so much money he does not care to
pay overprized stuff.
The buyer for the Angolia-books is ripe for a lunatic-asylum!

My opinion of course!

Lots of mistakes and omission of footnotes in those books too. That's why I like your books and this forum. Facts > Opinion.

Hi Jack

Thank you so much for teaching me the use of double S and the German character for double S. I am not very good at German grammar so it was new to me when to use one or the other. :good:

Reading your entire post to post 9 all makes more sense.

Sorry first now having time to thank you for your post, but my beloved wife :001_tt1: just had a happy birthday which we celebrated this weekend

Hi Michael,

most Germans don't even know the rules anymore ;-). I have do deal with that by profession, so I'm quit fit and able to annoy anybody around me :lol:. In those (in this respect: good) old times typos (esp. in official or commercial texts) were considered emberassing, and so they were rarely to be find. The ss/ß rules have been modified in 1998, so a lot of people are not (or no more) familiar with the old regulations. And this could be really helpful to discover fakes sometimes.
And when you find 4 typos on such an allegedly old bag - then it is highly possible being a fake. And what our eyes can't perceive, the macro lens can:

By the way - there is another helpful rule which most of the fakers (and modern people of course too) don't know: the correct use of "long" (regular s) and "short" (= Silbenschluss-s) s letter in gothic script. I have seen a lot of funny "definitely authentic" stamp marks due to these mistakes.

Not many Germans and even less non-Germans master the fine art of reading Sütterlin/Kurrent, so I salute you for this Michael. Great achievement!

And for your wife: Forsinket tillykke med fødselsdagen!

Kind regards,

Jack

Attachments

Last one on my bag :001_cool:: The highly informative thread about the "Olympc knife" gave me an idea.

Yes, it's Microsoft's Times New Roman bold.
But, fortunately, I haven't paid much for it.

Attachments

If anyone is interested this set of books is coming up to auction @ invaluable auctions & probably won't go as high as the Ratisbons auction.
Mike

Attachments

Back