Kriegsleistungsabzeichen der europäischen Jugend

Thanks Received
Hello all,

As a researcher of dutchmen/dutchwomen in german service during WW2, I have encountered also young boys and girls who voluneered for the Luftwaffe as Luftwaffenhelfer/uftwaffenhelerinnen. I have found an newspaper article in the "Deutsche Zeitung in den Niederlande"from february 19, 1945. In this article soem details are given : Various enlistment agencies were established in various towsn in the Netherlands, by the HJ- Kriegseinsatzkommando Niederlande, where the boys/girls could serve after training etc.
The most interesting in this article is the mentioning of a achievementbadge for the european youth in four (4) classes, which could be awarded after some special archievements. (in German "Für besondere Bewährung wird das "Kriegsleistungsabzeichen der europäischen Jugend" in vier Klassen erteilt). Now my questions as I do not know anything about HJ insignia/badges.
Does any member have information on this Kriegsleistungsabzeichen der Europäische Jugend? Was this badge indeed produced and how did it look, in its four classes?
Also anything more on the requirements for this badge/award, would be highly appreciated.
Best regards and thanks in advance

Nico Heitman

Last edited:
Hi NICOh and welcome
i never hear something about this badge .
Maybe some other members could help .
Best regards

Hi Nico,

Very interesting. Can you link to that issue of the newspaper please? I hadn't heard of these badges before either.

Many thanks Nico. Reading that it sounds a little unclear when they would actually have been eligible. With this being announced in Feb 1945 any qualification period over three months would have been too late. What do you think?

Hi Garry and Wim

First post: The article in the Deutsche Zeitung in den Niederland, 19.02.1945

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Garry, Wim

second article,
From teh Drenthsch Dagblad february 2 ,1945
Note especially Wim, the mentioning of a getuigschrift for uitblinkende verdiensten. (getuigschrft=certificate) and the mentioned favors for each class of this award.

Attachments

Garry, Wim

As the first mentioning of the possiblity of dutch boys/girls to enroll was published bij the HJ-Kriegseinsatzkommando Niederland in september 1944, i have seen an add on September 20,1944, and the first mentioning of this award is (as far as I know) in a newspaper recruitment add of january 16, 1945, it seems possible that this award did exists is some way (certificate/badge ). The last mentioning, again as far as I am aware was on April 4 , 1945 in an recruitment add for these boys and girls.
@Wim: Searching in Delpher with oorlogsverdiensten AND Europeesche gives a number of hits .
Best regards so far
Nico

PS: hope the newspaperclipping were readable.

Ah yes, Sept/Oct coincides with the period where Dienststelle Hauptbannführer Nickel was setting up new KEK and when KEK West became KEK Niederlande. The dutch article says that they could leave after two years service but in special circumstances after ten months when, I presume, they would receive the certificate/award? This would have been July 1945 at the earliest so I'm thinking that this is the reason that we haven't seen any surviving awards. Really interesting subject actually.

KLbz der Europ Jugend

Garry,

Indeed a interesting subject. As it was first mentioned in Adds from the HJ Kriegeinsatzkommando Niederlande in January 1945, it would appear logical that plans were made to institute this award/certificate earlier. I find it difficult to accept this solely as a award/certificte only or dutch boys/girls, so I assume that this award/certificate was an idea from central HJ Command.
I do hope a HJ researcher can find something about this award/certificate, be it documentary evidence of planning, production, awarding etc of these awards/certificates.
Whilst on the subject it would be nice to see photographs of these dutch boys/girls as Luftwaffenhelfer/Helferinnen. Did the various nationalities within the Luftwaffenhelfer wear any distinctive national insignia?

But I am going besides the topic of this thread.
Best regards

Nico

I think we hardly ever will see results nor photographs.
I doubt these badges were ever awarded. Sometimes
things were planned for a while and it is the question
if plans were fullfilled, funds for manufacturing were
ever available.
I cannot remember ever having seen Dutch boys in
about March/April 1945, serving as Luftwaffenhelfer.

KLA der Europ Jugend

Wim,

I do hope that anything will surface. I know very well a lot of things in all areas were planned and never materialized, but I feel I did have to ask about this award.
Also Photographs from teh very late war period are indeed scarce, and seeing that even you have not ever seen photographs of dutch luftwaffenhelfer, chances are slim to say the least that ever photo's will surface.

Best regards and thanks

Nico

Back