Length of HJ armbands

Thanks Received
Were hj armbands unfinished and sewn to lenght by the owner ? Just saying mine all vary in length.

I would assume it depends on the construction. I believe most RZM examples are the same size, and were just reworked depending on the uniform they were needed on.

The standard type had a length (diameter) of about 19 cm, so you had to be a very brawny guy to wear this armband without the risk of sliding down.
Most of them were not - and so they (or their mothers ;-)) had to sew the armband tighter.
Usually, the armband was sewn on the sleeve for proper fitting.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Inside this sewn pleat you'll find perfect fresh colours...

Attachments

Here’s a publication mentioning sizing/proportioning of the armband design.

Attachments

Here’s a publication mentioning sizing/proportioning of the armband design.

The armband has the sizes mentioned as also was done in the manufacturings-regulations of the RZM and in other
sources. The total length of such armband is not mentioned, just the sizes for the width of the red-white-red, which
is obvious from the shown drawing.

I don't give up quickly. I finally did find the length of armbands in a price-list from
the Winkler-concern at Dresden.
The armband for SA and party-member was 13x40 cm, but available as well as 12.5x40 cm.
For the greatcoat it was 12.5x42/43 cm;
for the SS it was 13x40.5 cm, for the great-coat it was 13x43/44 cm;
for SS leaders it was 13x40.5/41 cm, for the greatcoat 23x43/44 cm

AND....for the HJ: about 11.0x40,0 cm for the one with printed swastika;
with sewn-on swastika it was 10.5x 38/40 cm
for the greatcoat it was 11.5x40/41cm.

maybe you collectors get dizzy somehow?? The hunt is on, isn't?

Thanks Wil ! I have two here mint with RZM tag and folded equal 21.6 cm very odd. The others w rzm are quite smaller.

This question is turning into an abyss or a merrygoround.Crazy? No consistency in any of the ones i own.

Thank you for your research Wim!

The standard type had a length (diameter) of about 19 cm

2 x 19 = 38 :biggrin1:
If theory and practise are in harmony, it is a pleasure for the ... owner ;-).

This question is turning into an abyss or a merrygoround.Crazy? No consistency in any of the ones i own.

I just mentioned one manufacturer. There were tens-and-tens of them, maybe one-hundred that manufactured HJ armbands.
So imagine the many variations! In most cataloques, I have, no total length is being mentioned. Nor the differences for the
various organizations. Official regulations do not mention it at all.

Back