M 1/72 Membership Pin

Thanks Received
Here is my one and only non-photo HJ item...picked it up ten years or so ago at a small local show, it was in a bargain pin, I'm assuming because of the damage to the enamel. Can anyone tell my what caused the dark spots in it?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I think Jo once told me that it could be the result of bad cleaning before the applying of the enamel?

Regards, Wim

It is cracked, so condensation gets in and corrodes the base metal, creating what looks like black spots. You`ll find this normally around the edges of badges, as when it comes out of the oven and cools down, the enamel shrinks a fraction, ceating a thin line for condensation to seep in. But when it`s cracked like this, then the cracks offer gaps for this to happen.
Common to find. Here is a micro image of the "gap" around the letters on the GPB. Only a hairline gap, but enough for condensation and grime to get in - same thing when it`s cracked, worse even.
Funny, we were just talking about this exact thing a few weeks ago on the PA forum.
The yellow image is exactly this, a crack, letting in moisture, creating corrosion on the surface under the enamel, turning it "black".

Attachments

Thanks for the insight and images...I'm fairly new to enamel, not much of it on the USMC side of the house.

What is the PA forum?

Back