Markings on Buckle Tab

Thanks Received
I wonder if anyone can identify the markings on this buckle tab "BAG"

Best regards,

Simon

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Simon,

it reads
A. WUNDERLICH NF. (Nachfolger/successors)
BERLIN S.W. (Südwest/Southwest, district and postal code)

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

it reads
A. WUNDERLICH NF. (Nachfolger/successors)
BERLIN S.W. (Südwest/Southwest, district and postal code)

Many thanks for your reply. Do you know what BAG stands for?

Best regards,

Simon

No, unfortunately I have no idea about that.

I'm no expert by any means but I don't recall ever seeing a leather tab on a HJ or DJ belt buckle .......? To me, the maker's stamp on the tab is in the style for a much earlier Imperial era buckle. This would match with the BAG stamp which in my experience is for Bekleidungsamt Gardekorps (Clothing/Garment Department of the Guard Corps). Have also seen the BAG marking identified as Bekleidungsamt Gardekorps (Berlin). The BAG stamp has been observed on buckle tabs, holsters, visor and pickelhaube liners, uniform items, etc. Sometimes impressed into the the leather, other times ink stamped. Hard to say without better photos but I'm afraid this is a possibly original aluminum HJ buckle that has been embellished with an earlier leather tab; not original to the piece. My thoughts only ....

Attachments

That is very possible. Wunderlich was already producing in the First World War, but usually with the year next to it, as I have seen.
But I am anything but an expert on such things.
In any case, the Garde/Guard Corps only existed until it was demobilised and disbanded in the course of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919.

I'm no expert by any means but I don't recall ever seeing a leather tab on a HJ or DJ belt buckle .......? To me, the maker's stamp on the tab is in the style for a much earlier Imperial era buckle. This would match with the BAG stamp which in my experience is for Bekleidungsamt Gardekorps (Clothing/Garment Department of the Guard Corps). Have also seen the BAG marking identified as Bekleidungsamt Gardekorps (Berlin). The BAG stamp has been observed on buckle tabs, holsters, visor and pickelhaube liners, uniform items, etc. Sometimes impressed into the the leather, other times ink stamped. Hard to say without better photos but I'm afraid this is a possibly original aluminum HJ buckle that has been embellished with an earlier leather tab; not original to the piece. My thoughts only ....

Many thanks and I do think you are correct about the markings.The does tab though really look as though it has always been on there but of course we may never know.

Many thanks gentlemen for your support and input.

Best regards,

Simon

Back