NSFK Red Cloth Insignia

Thanks Received
I have a red NSFK cloth insignia patch. I am not a collector of German militaria so I trying to learn about it. I have read the history of the NSFK.

What has me puzzled it that I have found pictures of many similar patches, but never a red one. I showed the patch to several dealers of German militaria and they have said that it is genuine, but they did not know the significance of it being red versus one of the other colors.

It is approximately 5 inches in height and 6 inches wide and appears to have never been sewn on a uniform.

Can anyone tell me the significance of it being red? Thanks, Michael

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Welcome to the forum Michael. I've made a particular member aware of your question so I'm hoping that he'll get back to you.

Some years ago I collected NSFK, but I have never seen a red version of the brest/arm patch.

Very rare if original. If it was offered to me, I would not buy it, without any period written documentation.

I found an image of a red NSFK car pennant with a red patch on Eagle Relics | Eagle Relics | Your Best Source For Original 3rd Reich Militaria .
And as many dealers/collectors, he don't know the what NSKF was, and presents it as a pennant of National Sozialistisches Kraftfahr Korps [NSKK] .

[google search red nsfk icarus - Google Search]

If it was offered to me, I would not buy it without any period written documentation.

Note that NSFK was not ( officially) a Nazi party organization, and was not subject to RZM regulations on uniforms, etc.

Attachments

I saw this emblem also at WAF.
In the official regulations from the NSFK a red backing is not mentioned,
that's for sure! I checked all my material.
The only plausible explantion is that it indeed comes from a flag. I do
not know the sizes from a NSFK -patch or other flags, but it has some
chance to be from there.

As Cemifor says: not inherent to the RZM, but as the NSFK had the same
political tasks as the political organizations, so it had the same structures
as the political organizations as for example the SA. NSFK members had
the same rights.
This all is obvious as the NSFK is included within the "Organisationsbuch
der NSDAP". (1943, page 470d mentions this).

The NSFK Sturm-flag:

Have not ever seen a patch as shown with the flag, but it could be used
with a pennant for a car, motorbycicle or bike. If the size is indeed 5/6 inch
then for me it seems large for a Sturm-patch. But I do not know the exact
sizes for such Sturm-patch, but some of their flags used enormous patches.

Attachments

Thank you Henrik. Your reply was much appreciated.

Your comment about the "...car pennant with a red patch...." agrees with the response that I received from a man in the United States who is a prominent collector/dealer of German militaria. His response to me was, in part:

"If you look on my website under the "FLAGS" section and you will see your same patch as being part of an NSFK vehicle banner - this particular banner on my site was used by the NSFK head, but it is possible other NSFK auto banners had the same insignia. I would think this insignia would be quite rare... depending on whether the same insignia was used on all NSFK auto banners, or just the ones used by the higher-ups in the organization."

So, it seems fairly certain that the patch came from or was meant for an automobile pennant.

As far as authenticity, I bought this NSFK patch along with some Nazi banners, and a wool arm band from a guy whose uncle had died and his aunt had given him the contents of his uncle's old military trunk. The smaller of the Nazi banners had 40 some odd signatures and addresses of soldiers signed across its front. I, after much searching, found the son of one of the men who signed it and he confirmed the address on the banner was their old address and that his father had served in Europe during WW2. So, I believe the items are genuine.

I had several people who deal with German militaria/insignia (at the Dallas and Tulsa gun shows) look at it. They both said the NSFK patch and the arm band were genuine. One said that he did not think it had ever been sewn on. However, neither of them knew any details --- like what the red color signified.

Thanks Again, Michael

Thank you Wilhelm.

Please see my reply to Henrik. Both of you confirmed the opinion of a prominent collector/dealer in the United States about the patch coming from a flag/pennant.

No problems with it as it is cut from a pennant.
Mike41

Here is my red pennant. In Angolia & littlejohns book NSKK / NSFK Uniforms , organization & History it says Sturmführer pennant and NSFK members pennant 25 x 40 cm red with a white Icarus emblem with black accents & swastika to be displayed on the left fender. your Icarus was most likely cut from a pennant which explains the red cloth. I also read that NSFK pennants were to have only the Icarus on both sides no other emblem. If I would disassemble my pennant I would have 2 separate Icarus emblems. also I measured the Icarus on my pennant and it measures approx 5" x 6" and if it was removed carefully it would look like it was never sewn onto anything as well.
Mike41

Attachments

Thanks Mike. Your reply and those of Wilhelm and Henrik all point to the same answer. You men quickly solved my puzzle.

Back