Post your opinion of this black sport-achievement badge

Thanks Received
Hello members,

After some great information provided by you, I am keen to hear about this particular item.

It is about a leistungsabzeichen, black variation.

I found some info about these unmarked ones, with serial number.
They are some kind of early ones?

Anyway, always smart to ask here :thumb:

Thank you.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Hravn

You are quite right, yours is an early one - before RZM was established. The badge was introduced in May 1934, and the RZM was established about October 1934 (as far as I remember)

There was an early hollow one (only about 3.000 pieces produced) and then the well known 2. model.

Se pics of my 2 black badges - it is the hollow one at the left (note the low numbers on both badges)

And se this thread about the early hollow ones:

Early hollow-back Hitler Youth achievement badges

Michael :denmark

Attachments

The Reichszeugmeisterei, which was an umbrella-organization, existed already in 1931
and consisted of a number of so-called Zeugmeistereien.
It was mentioned as such in the Verordnungsblatt der Reichsleitung der NSDAP from
July 27, 1931. All Zeugmeistereien were mentioned in the order from July 10, 1931,
being 6 including the Vaterländischer Schutzbund, the Zeugmeisterei from Vienna.

This number was enlarged up till the end of 1932, being eleven with the date December
12,1932. Due to some problems caused by Eberhard Assmann, the old staff-leader from
the RZM it was decided to abolish all seperate Zeugmeisteren with the date April 1, 1933
and the only official department for delivering goods was from then on the Reichszeugmeisterei
der NSDAP at Munich.

The "Mitteilungsblatt der RZM"' was a fact with order 10/34 from May 9, 1934. Its first
publication date was June 1, 1934. The use of the so-called "Schutzzeichen"" (RZM) came
into being (read this as better organized and classifications were introduced, consisting of
letters and numbers. For example TA was Textil-Abzeichen; KH = Koppelschloss-Hersteller
or numbers were used).

With orders from early 1935 the system of letters and numbers was re-organized and changed.
The well-known M or L came into being (M1 for Metallabzeichen-Hersteller; TA became known
as A4 for Textilabzeichen-Hersteller; M4 became the well-known Koppelschloss-hersteller and
M5 did stand for Uniformeffekten-Hersteller).

THANKS for that information Wim :thumb:

I didn’t know that RZM was as old as 1931, I have always thought that is was established after Hitler came to power in 1933, and have never seen this information mentioned before.

I understand from your information, that RZM-marks on items was used after June 1934 instead of October 1934 ( as I mentioned). Is that correct understood ?

It started gradually in later 1933. That was also the moment manufacturers included their
RZM-permission number with advertisements.

In January 1939 there was an article about the development of the RZM in the magazine
"Unser Wille und Weg" (10 Jahre Reichszeugmeisterei). It stated the Oberste SA-Führung
was ordered to create a Zeugmeisterei at the end of 1928, which was followed by sub-
departments. In March 1929 the Reichszeugmeisterei started their work and August 1,
1930 this department was assigned to the Reichsschatzmeister.

It is great to read that many of the Zeugmeistereien just were located in a (small) room and
in 1929 the RZM just had one type-writer and the only person working there was the Reichs-
zeugmeister. The type-writer they in fact had to share with the Oberste SA-Führer. So far the
size of the RZM!! The size of course grew in the next years.

Shown a photo from the Reichszeugmeister and his employees during the meeting in 1931
at Braunschweig (courtesy L.Hessels). The three with the leaf upon the collar are from the
RZM:

Attachments

As I said, I didn’t know that RZM was so early. But I still think that it was not normal to se RZM-markings on items from 1933 and early 1934.

I have never seen an early HJ-knife (without ricasso) with RZM-marking, and the same with the lowest numbered HJ sport-achievement badge.

To get back to where it all started (post 1), I think that the early badges all are without RZM-marking, but I do not know exactly when the marking get normal. It would be nice to see the highest no. without RZM-marking and the lowest with marking. In that way we could see where it changed. Just like we now know that the hollow ones are about the first 3.000 items (as per the thread about hollow badges).

Members,

Some great info here. I learn a lot, which is my goal. I bought the badge, with another rzm bronze one. Just silver and then the jungvolk leistungsabzeichen will be next.

Thank you!

Hi Wim

I read this in post 4:

"The "Mitteilungsblatt der RZM
"' was a fact with order 10/34 from May 9, 1934. Its first
publication date was June 1, 1934. The use of the so-called "Schutzzeichen"" (RZM
) came
into being (read this as better organized and classifications were introduced, consisting of
letters and numbers. For example TA was Textil-Abzeichen; KH = Koppelschloss-Hersteller
or numbers were used)."

And my "conclusion" of this info was in post 5:

"I understand from your information, that RZM
-marks on items was used after June 1934 instead of October 1934 ( as I mentioned). Is that correct understood ?"

And now you write, that I should read post 4 and get the answer - I thought that I have godt the answer, with a ?-sign to that I just want a YES or NO . BUT maybe I just misunderstod your info.

As I said, I didn’t know that RZM was so early. But I still think that it was not normal to se RZM-markings on items from 1933 and early 1934.

I have never seen an early HJ-knife (without ricasso) with RZM-marking, and the same with the lowest numbered HJ sport-achievement badge.

To get back to where it all started (post 1), I think that the early badges all are without RZM-marking, but I do not know exactly when the marking get normal. It would be nice to see the highest no. without RZM-marking and the lowest with marking. In that way we could see where it changed. Just like we now know that the hollow ones are about the first 3.000 items (as per the thread about hollow badges).

It is a very compliated issue, and will apply to different items in different ways. I covered this to the best of my abillities in the Party Badge book in the RZM chapter, but only as the RZM markings applied to small official badges, and nothing else. Even in just that department, by 1934 the second numbering change was already taking place, from MA to simply N°. and then in April 1935 it changed again to M1/. And with small official regulated items, the RZM code can already be found in 1933.
If you are looking at these Leistungsabzeichen and trying to work out the RZM date from them, you are looking in the wrong place, as the markings on them (or not with early ones) has little to nothing to do with the RZM marking system and/or logos in general. That is just the way the first few contracts of them were handled, and has no connection at all to what codes were in place or used already at the time they first came out.

The only real items you can use of definite proof, are items made by early makers who had their RZM codes revoked. You will have a definite date when maker xXXx lost his MA number, for example, and then you find the actual items made by them, and you know that they were made no later than the date they still had a license, so you can work it out from them, that some makers were indeed using a RZM logo on their items in 1933. Or at least get a good idea of how some makers were markings their items around the date they lost their license.

It will apply to all items differently, and as well if the item was official straigh away, or if it took a few months to become an official item.

This subject I actually covered in detail in a few chapters in the mentioned book, and you can even find makers using wrong codes much later on too. As well as you can find stationary from the manufacturers from as late as 1940, that still show the old MA code, which was replaced in mid-1935 already!!!!

I personally do not think we will ever find any one specific date when everyone must use the RZM logo, or any date when it was exactly first used. We can be sure, though, it was used in 1933 already by some makers, with some items. And with other items it will depand on many other things, as well as status of the item.

Hi Jo – THANK you so much for your answer. It makes it very understandable that there is not only ONE simple answer to the RZM-question. :clap2:

Your answer provides a wonderful opportunity for many exciting discussions on this topic in the future. :good:

And I now think that my answer in post 2 was not a total failure, but with a bit of the truth in it.:biggrin1:

To Wim - It's very understandable that you want to help your girlfriend after surgery, it's so much more important than joining the forum. I wish all the best for both of you.

Back