RZM Schuttelhofer for review - opinions appreciated

Thanks Received
Hi all!

My first post, after lurking in the shadows for a while. Excellent and very well needed forum, I will definitely be more active in the future!

Im in a debate with a friend of mine about this RZM M7/13 (Schuttelhofer) knife. Cause of the discussion is the "casting seam" tendencies on the inside of the fingerguard (one of the old signs, as we all know but still - a late production piece). The seam is not very long and does not continue outside the red lines thats in one of the pictures. What do you guys make of this?

As for the diamond, it has obviously been replaced, and in its place is a (I would say original) HJ cap insignia.

The somewhat matt or strange looking finish on the blade is because it is covered by a thin layer of gun grease.

The knife shows a normal amount of wear throughout and has the not-so-uncommon marks from tent pegs or whatever on the top of the hilt (I realised I missed that in the pictures).

Any input would be greatly appreciated and if any more pictures are needed, please just let me know.
All opinions are more than welcome!

Thank you all in advance, and cheers!

/HJ-C

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

For some reason I didnt manage to post all of the pictures in my first post.

Agan, any help must appreciated!

Attachments

Hi,
I can only provide a few macro comparison pictures - without seam, and also I don't see the plate-like flaking of the nickel plating here?

Attachments

Thank you, Jack! Much appreciated!
I see what you mean with the plating. Also, I love that you took the effort to post pictures of the same area for reference, thank you very much for going through the trouble!

I have been collecting these knives for the last 15-16 something years (so Im still learning) and this one is one of my first ones. In my early collecting days, at one point I decided that this was a real one and then it has just been more or less tucked away. I cant remember even seeing the seam before but I guess I have seen it and still thought it was real. It was just the other day that my friend pointed it out to me and I was honestly surprised to find that all of a sudden, maybe I have reason to doubt this oldie that I havent handled for a long time.

Any other opinions?

I can only echo what you already said about the casting seam. This is something that is observed on fakes.

Thanks for your input, crack!

Yes, I agree. Classic sign of forgery. The only thing that makes me doubt it on this knife is that I can not find anything else that, in my mind, would indicate that its a fake. If it is fake it is a good one.
That, and the fact that this kind of lower quality work (including the seam) has been known to appear on late production examples that, according to the consensus view, is original.
I am still not sure but maybe I just have to face an unpleasant fact this time ...

Cheers!

Back