Shoulder strap with roman numerals

P

peterB

Hi All.

Got this shoulderstrap and after any info.

There is a label with it that states it is 'HJ von 1933'. The piping is light blue and black (could be dark brown but I am assuming it is faded) with the lettering in light blue.

The font of all knowledge has a similar one on his blog and states "The Blue and Black piping is possibly from the region of Serie III Aachen but this is unconfirmed". From the number I assume this is from Bann 16 (Rheinisch-Bergisch?). Does this tally?

What I cannot find is another example of a strap which uses roman numerals. Is this rare/unusual or have I just not looked in the right places....or is not HJ?

Anyone got any other info to add/correct?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
Interesting item. The only thing this strap can be, if it is indeed HJ, is an early item with the number of the wearer's Gefolgschaft as opposed to the later Oberbann/Bann/Unterbann straps (which were themselves subsequently replaced with straps showing only the Bann/Jungbann number).

Prior to the July 1933 reorganisation which laid down Bann (previously Unterbann) numbers there had been a reorganisation in 1932 where Gefolgschaft numbers were given as roman numerals. From July 1933 this was no longer the case so, if HJ and if it can be confirmed that there existed HJ straps with just a Kameradschafts number for a short period, this strap will be from 1932/3. However, the piping colour combination of black/blue was only applicable for Aachen during the period 1931/2 when the HJ was subordinated to the SA. After that, Aachen used blue only and then latterly black/white until the piping was changed to Oberbann colours.

I also find it very interesting and I also think it's a very early HJ shoulder board.

And there's a photo of a shoulder strap with Roman numericals in wear. The boy wears are shiny 1932 Potsdam badge (same as the boy next to him who wears arabic numericals on the strap by the way).

So I guess it was taken around 1932.

Rgds

Daniel

Attachments

I do have a lousy copy of insignia to be worn in about 1931/1932.
As far as I know the Roman number was for a Gefolgschaftsführer
in a specific district.
I do show a part of the copy, which I did find about 40 years ago,
where a Roman number is visible.
Sorry for the quality. I have never found a better copy!

The copies do show also an early adjutant shoulder-strap
and ones with the simple letters HJ:

Attachments

Excellent Wim. I have seen a set of the straps with the "HJ" on them once. There is a also a photo of Gruber wearing them when he was the national youth leader that I have seen.

Back