Tinnie: skiing event in 1939 for Bann 106 and 134

mkholst

Thanks Received
I just got this tinnie into the collection - and I've never seen it before.

I've found quite a bit of information about it, but I'm still missing some.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Cf. the photos show a skiing event in 1939 for Bann 106 (Auerbach) and 134 (Plauen) – 2 neighboring towns in the state of Saxony.

The text on the tinnieis:

Reinh. Glass Ged.. U. Jub. Lauf
Bann u. Untergau Wettkämpfe

On the "shield" to the right, there is a picture of a ski jumper with the letters WSV underneath.

I have not been able to find anything about Reinhard Glass, who has put his name to the commemorative and anniversary race. - and can't figure out what WSV means either.

Does anyone know anything about this tinnie?

Michael :denmark

Attachments

Hi Michael,

It really wasn't easy, but I managed to find some information.

My first thought was Klingenthal, because it is located in the Vogtland region in question and still hosts ski jumping world cups today. And it fits. The first club was founded in 1908 under the name WSV (Wintersportverein) Klingenthal-Aschberg, and in 1914 a Reinhold Glaß (he is the one) won first the jumping, then also the subsequent run (so it was a kind of Nordic combined back then). He was later killed in action during World War I. His brother Walter Glaß, a member of the 1928 German Olympic team, dedicated the Dürrenbachtalschanze ski jumping hill to his brother's memory. On the same occasion there were also the commemorative races, 1939 was already the 20th anniversary of the Reinhold-Glaß-Gedenk-und-Jubiläumslauf, as you have correctly interpreted the abbreviations. But here Reinh. can mean both Reinhard and Reinhold, which is why you may not have found anything.
In the 1920s, the WSV Aschberg and the WSV Mühlleithen were also founded, all in or near Klingenthal. (Source: Aschberger Land 13/98).

Jack, you are simply :thumbup: thanks a lot for the information - now the tinnie has it own history, which i value very much.

Michael :denmark

Glad I could help you, Michael. It's always fun to reveal a bit of background to your own collectibles, and I also find that it adds value to them. I'm trying to do that with a boy's stuff from Hamburg but it's hard work, even though I have the name and DOB.

Back