Unternehmen Bartold

Thanks Received
I recently came across a group of documents that originally belonged to the same person. One of the documents is a promotional document that piqued my curiosity. It is ink stamped and sent from "Unternehmen Bartold". It's not something I've heard or read about before, so I searched the internet and found the following information:

Unternehmen Barthold (Company Barthold, also spelled Bartold) was the code name for the construction of partial defense lines in the Second World War from August 1944 in the greater Breslau area, Silesia. The focus was on the area around Namslau and Groß Wartenberg.

At best, the line consisted of a five meter wide, three meter deep, wedge-shaped anti-tank ditch, a double Flanders fence (a wire entanglement made of barbed wire) and, about 80 meters behind it, a man-deep trench with machine gun nests.

Since, as eyewitnesses reported, the defensive line was neither defended nor its passages blown up, the Red Army could not be stopped.

At the end of August 1944, HJ-Bann 38 with around 500 boys and a group from the Association of German Girls were committed to the entrenchment and taken by special train to Neumittelwalde, Groß Wartenberg district. Their location was the village of Distelwitz (today: Dzieslawice). Accommodation was in a barn on the von Curland manor. Food was provided by the “Hermann Göring Relief Train”. The chefs were indentured Dutch people. The division into smaller self-catering groups resulted in better food, but also caused problems with the residents because they were robbed. The boys called this “organizing.” The entrenching work over a distance of around 1000 meters was carried out exclusively with spades, shovels and pickaxes.

The name “Barthold” is probably borrowed from the book title “Vogt Bartold”. As the author Hans Venatier writes, it is a fictional character who led settlers to Silesia in the 13th century. Vogt Bartold should only be understood as “… the personification of an idea.”

Always fun to find historical remains that lead to more knowledge.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Interesting document, thanks for showing it, Osvald.

This was the special form of Fronthelfer/front-line helper.
The action Bartold began at the end of the school summer holidays (6 August 1944) and ended on 3 December. All 6th grade pupils from Breslau (born in 1929) were conscripted to this hard labour, even for adults, and then also the apprentices from the city of the same age, i.e. only 14 or 15. They were also housed in Lager 7 in Goschütz (near Festenberg, Groß-Wartenburg district), or rather crammed in. There, 250-300 Fronthelfer lived in a 100-man barrack, fenced in and guarded. From early morning until the afternoon, they had to do the entrenchment work, then complete their pre-military training until the evening. There was no permission to go out, and the letters were also censored. Participants said it had "traits of concentration camp detention" (Nicolaisen II, p. 1786f).

Interesting document, thanks for showing it, Osvald.

This was the special form of Fronthelfer/front-line helper.
The action Bartold began at the end of the school summer holidays (6 August 1944) and ended on 3 December. All 6th grade pupils from Breslau (born in 1929) were conscripted to this hard labour, even for adults, and then also the apprentices from the city of the same age, i.e. only 14 or 15. They were also housed in Lager 7 in Goschütz (near Festenberg, Groß-Wartenburg district), or rather crammed in. There, 250-300 Fronthelfer lived in a 100-man barrack, fenced in and guarded. From early morning until the afternoon, they had to do the entrenchment work, then complete their pre-military training until the evening. There was no permission to go out, and the letters were also censored. Participants said it had "traits of concentration camp detention" (Nicolaisen II, p. 1786f).
Thank you very much for the information. It is appreciated.

I can't add much but I found a couple of 1944 newspaper articles talking about a group of HJ from Gebiet Niedersachsen who took part. One thing I found interesting was that the HJ Fronthelfer were described as wearing grey service uniforms with an "HA" armband. The BDM girls wore a "Operation Bertold" cufftitle. "HA" could be a typo of course but if anyone can find period photos showing these items I would love to see them.

The source quoted above confirms that: Die Uniform war heeresgrau, ohne Tressen etc., allerdings auch ohne HJ-Armbinde.

Mmm.. makes things a little more interesting that. "HA" may not have been a typo then but I can't think of anything that those letters could stand for.

The list of abbreviations only provides HA: Hauptabschnitt, -abteilung, -amt, in addition to Heimarbeit, which really doesn't fit here. The chaps at Camp 7 probably didn't wear an armband at all.

Btw, you would only have to look it up: MZ: Musikzug. Yeah. :biggrin1:

Back