Winter Relief Can

Thanks Received
Why no locking device ?
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Why no locking device ?

I know right but it might be the cause. WHW is a little out of fashion in these progressive times so maybe cover everything up with a sticker for some modern cause. I dunno... "pronouns" or "sponsor a wind turbine" something like that. Might be worth getting a new lock then.

Why no locking device ?
Who says so? You can see the two holes at the top, a string is pulled through both of them one after the other and attached to the bottom with sealing wax and then sealed - and the contents are safely stored as long as the seal is intact. you can also see from the security slot that no coins can be shaken out of the top.

This system is still in use today for collections, the tax office does it personally so that nothing gets away ;-).

Here is the promised photo, dated January 1936, from the Hauschild Collection, Hannover, whose negatives were unfortunately almost completely destroyed in a bombing raid.
I can't get the collection box in more detail, the photo doesn't give more.
But you can see that this version had no padlock. I think I can see that the cord was wound over the metal tongues and then sealed.
The inscription reads: Winter-Hilfswerk des Deutschen Volkes WHW. Note: The swastika is on one arm, as usual.
The red cans, on the other hand, which one still seems to find amazingly often, apparently really did have a padlock.

Attachments

Back