1911 - 1936 Jugendburg Stahleck tinnie

Thanks Received
1911 - 1936 Jugendburg Stahleck 25 Jahre Rheinland tinnie
You don't have permission to view attachments.

I received this in the mail yesterday

Attachments

Actually, the badge honours 25 years of DJH (Deutsches Jugendherbergswerk/German Youth Hostel Association) in the Rhineland.
Which is a bit strange, because on their current page the year 1909 is given as the date of foundation, like the overall association.
But in the same year, a regional association bought the ruins of the 12th century Stahleck Castle from the Prussian state, to put it simply. In 1925, it was then decided to turn it into a youth hostel, which was opened a year later; initially only for boys. In the years and decades that followed, the castle was expanded more and more (so this is nothing original, says the historian with a slightly furrowed brow).
During WWII, the castle was first a Wehrmacht hospital, then a punishment camp for youths not loyal to the line and a WEL camp. Since 1947, the castle has once again been used as a youth hostel. For more information, see the English version on Wikipedia: Stahleck Castle.

Actually, the badge honours 25 years of DJH (Deutsches Jugendherbergswerk/German Youth Hostel Association) in the Rhineland.
Which is a bit strange, because on their current page the year 1909 is given as the date of foundation, like the overall association.
But in the same year, a regional association bought the ruins of the 12th century Stahleck Castle from the Prussian state, to put it simply. In 1925, it was then decided to turn it into a youth hostel, which was opened a year later; initially only for boys. In the years and decades that followed, the castle was expanded more and more (so this is nothing original, says the historian with a slightly furrowed brow).
During WWII, the castle was first a Wehrmacht hospital, then a punishment camp for youths not loyal to the line and a WEL camp. Since 1947, the castle has once again been used as a youth hostel. For more information, see the English version on Wikipedia: Stahleck Castle.
Thanks Jack I can always count on you for the history on my badges. As always this will go in my files. I will also do a little digging into it myself.

The DJH undertook some street collections to raise money for the expansion of their youth homes. There seem to be a number of interesting badges from this period. Here is a postcard of Stahleck Castle (Knight's Hall) and another badge. Have attached for you some further pics that shows the interior of the castle those days.

Attachments

The DJH undertook some street collections to raise money for the expansion of their youth homes. There seem to be a number of interesting badges from this period. Here is a postcard of Stahleck Castle (Knight's Hall) and another badge. Have attached for you some further pics that shows the interior of the castle those days.

Thank you Chlodwig I appreciate all the help I can get. I enjoy learning about the “tinnies” nearly as much as possessing them.

Back