Bannführer and Oberbannführer Boards from 1933 - 1936

Pimpf359

Thanks Received
Hello collector friends, I would like to introduce you to my new shoulder boards. They come from a household liquidation in Erfurt, which is a city next to my hometown. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the Bann Führer or Oberbann Führer from Erfurt around the time from 1933 to 1936, but I'm still very happy about these pieces. I hope you like them as much as I do.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Yes, Bann 71 was in Oberbann 1 (Mittelthüringen) :thumb:

On Becker: he held the rank of Unterbannführer in 1933-4. Bannführer in 1935-6 and was promoted to Oberbannführer on 9.11.1937.

Wow, thanks a lot for the info. Then the Oberbann boards make sense. They were found together in a household in Erfurt.

No probs :thumb: I wonder if the people who live in that house are also Beckers. I'm guessing you've already tried to get more info on that.

Unfortunately, I received the boards through a 3rd person and unfortunately I couldn't talk to the seller about exactly where they were found. It's a shame, but I'll try to find out more.

Hello ,
I'm having trouble finding it! According to WIM's book (Page 297) "the color yellow for shoulder straps was officially out as of the fall of 1934". It doesn't match.

Hello ,
I'm having trouble finding it! According to WIM's book (Page 297) "the color yellow for shoulder straps was officially out as of the fall of 1934". It doesn't match.
That's what I thought too at first, but I noticed that these yellow Oberbann boards are not shown anywhere in the NSDAP organization books up to 1338. I only know them from the 1933 book "Uniforms of the Hitler Youth". So I assume they were worn until 1938 to convert to the black ones. Here are two more panels from 1933 and 1936.

Attachments

Guys, are you talking about the Oberbann colour on normal straps (this thread) or about the Oberbannführer strap in post #1 above?

Ah yes, I should have noticed that :) I have the order which introduced the yellow Oberbannführer straps but I can't find any mention in any RJF orders/regulations which removed them. I see that Wim doesn't quote a source in his book either. He says autumn 1934 so I checked all RJF orders from that period and nothing is said so perhaps his source was an RZM publication. With Becker being promoted in Nov 1937 think it is clear that he would not have worn this type.

So, unfortunately, the couple doesn't fit into the story. But what did normal Oberbannführer boards look like then? Are there any pictures?

Ah, okay :thumb:

As I say, I don't see anything about a change from yellow to another colour in the RJF orders but I do see what happened after Nov 1936:

RJF Verordnungsblatt IV/27 6.11.1936 (the order that initially introduced the new pattern higher leader boards on black material) says the following:

Shoulder boards that were previously on a white or red base material are to be replaced in their entirety by smaller and narrower boards on a black base material. The rank insignia (oak leaves) will remain but will also be slightly reduced in size.

The 1937 OB shows the new versions:

Because the above order from Nov 1936 only talks about red and white straps, we must assume I think that the Oberbannführer straps were also red at this time (karmesin-rot for Stab members) before the change to the new black type.

Attachments

Thank you Garry So the Oberbann boards were previously in red material? The red boards are only known to me as staff leaders. Found in Wilhelm's book on page 291.
Here are my Oberbann boards

Attachments

Yes, the red (Karmesin-Rot) Oberbannführer straps for RJF-Stab members are described in Verordnungsblatt RJF Issue 27 dated 15.9.1933 (see attachment). The normal yellow straps for Oberbannführer are also mentioned there as you can see but as I say, a replacement colour for the yellow versions when they were discontinued at the end of 1934 (as mentioned in Wim's book) is not described in any RJF regulation between 1934 and 1937 when the black versions were introduced. With that in mind, we are left to assume that they were changed from yellow to red because the Verordnungsblatt from 1936 that I mentioned in my previous post does not mention yellow straps, only red and white. I'd love to be more helpful but I just don't see anything in the regulations showing exactly when yellow Oberbannführer straps were discontinued and what they were replaced with prior to the introduction of the black leader straps in 1937.

Attachments

Back