Bannführer from Bann 37 Wilmersdorf / Zehlendorf

Pimpf359

Thanks Received
These boards are currently being sold on Ebay Germany. For without a doubt an original pair.
The boards have been worn from 1933 to 1936 and the yellow numeral/piping indicates Oberbann 2.
Such boards are very rare to find.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

These boards are currently being sold on Ebay Germany. For without a doubt an original pair.
The boards have been worn from 1933 to 1936 and the yellow numeral/piping indicates Oberbann 2.
Such boards are very rare to find.

I wonder what price they will sell for ? No doubt big money.

Very nice. These can only have been worn by one person and that is Bannführer Eberhard Grüttner. He was Bannführer Bann 37 from 1933 until October 1936 (in Jan 1934 he held the rank of Unterbannführer but by August of that year he had been promoted to Bannführer). His successor was an Unterbannführer who still held that rank in 1937 so it has to be Grüttner who wore these straps.

More on his career in post #8 below.

Very nice. These can only have been worn by one person and that is Bannführer Eberhard Grüttner. He was Bannführer Bann 37 from 1933 until October 1936 (in Jan 1934 he held the rank of Unterbannführer but by August of that year he had been promoted to Bannführer). His successor was an Unterbannführer who still held that rank in 1937 so it has to be Grüttner who wore these straps.
Wow, now that truly is owning a piece of named HJ history. Wish I could afford to buy the boards. Great research Garry.

Many thanks for the great and important information Garry about the boards. That makes the pieces much more interesting. Hopefully a collector who is active here and appreciates this information will get it.

Glad to help :) Things like this make the time I'm putting into these leader lists worthwhile.

Just a little more on Grüttner:

when he left Bann 37 it was to take command of Bann 201 Herbert Norkus (Moabit-Schöneberg) which he led until the 1st of July 1939 at which point he took up a post as a Hauptabteilungsleiter within the Inspektionsdiensstelle of the Reichsjugendführung in Berlin under Gebietsführer Werner Kley. He was promoted to Hauptbannführer in 1939.

Hello Wilhelm,
Of course one may have doubts and especially with the early boards it is really the case that the embroidery was worked unevenly by hand. I compared these boards on Ebay with other originals that I know of and the white base fabric and brown back fabric match the fabric from the time, at least in the pictures. I also noticed a lot of differences in the finish of the early boards and they are not all the same. I am attaching a couple of examples.

Attachments

we may have a different opinion, but I see in them the same quality of reproduction,
as I see with a lot of fake collar patches for the SA (and other items sold at Ebay).
These are also sold as originals, but are fakes anyway.
For me it is the way of embroidery with the 37 shoulder-boards and yes, I know there
can be differences as they are done by hand. In one way or the other the boards lack
quality.

Do you have sample pictures of fakes? A lot of fakes were sold on Ebay some time ago. Here are the boards that were sold. I don't think any of them are original.

Attachments

Here are 3 more examples where I think they are originals. All three have different fabric and embroidery.

Attachments

I noticed that this Bannführer 22 sold on Ebay is the same as Wilhelm's book page 293 (Handbook of the Hitler Youth). Wilhelm, did you hold this shoulder board in your hand? I would be interested in your opinion on this. The patterns of the boards by (Dieter Deuster) are always the same and are all unworn. I don't want to say they aren't good, but it makes me wonder if they're originals. The pattern on the boards sold on Ebay is exactly the same. Perhaps one can ask Herr Deuster where he got these boards from.
I don't want to start an argument here, I just want to have a normal professional discussion. That's why nobody needs and shouldn't feel attacked.

That's totally fine with me and I accept your opinion as well, Wilhelm.

about mr. Deuster: I always had a good and regular contact with him,
but my last mails (since fall 2021) were not answered, which I am very
wondered about. It might be something is wrong in his private life
since his wife died. I know his health was not best, last time I did sprek
too him. I even do not know if he is still alive!
What I remember about the material he provided to me: it all were
items, he bought from the former manufacturer, were old stock and
for that reason brandnew.

For the record: The boards changed hands for a good 1500 euros.
What I noticed is that, unlike the 22s, the 37s have the back as it should be, even if the piping seems a bit strange.

I also followed the sale and wasn't surprised that the price went so high.
The piping on these early boards is partly different, as can also be seen in Wilhelm's book. Furthermore, I noticed that the piping on the leader boards was almost always attached by hand afterwards and is rarely machine-sewn into the fabric.

Back