BDM beret opinions

Thanks Received
Good afternoon,
This is my first post on this excellent looking forum.
My question is, can you please advise me on the BDM beret. I've seen on here photos looking like the beret is made as a one piece of velvet material, but on another forum I've seen photos of the beret made in sections. Like several triangles sewn together, to form the beret shape, with a button in the middle (photo attached) . I find it hard to find clear photos of the beret, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies regarding my title, I don't know how that happened, and can't see how to change it to BDM beret, if anyone can please advise

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

You can find more information on the different types of early BDM headwear here:

Jugendmütze HJ. / DJ. / BDM (beginning at post #4)

another useful thread:

If you have any more questions on these items please feel free to post them

:thumb:

Last edited:
Hi 01raych,

the so-called "Barett", E: "Beret" was a was a very common headgear here in Germany after World War I.
It was worn privately, by members of the "Young German Youth", the youth organization of the "Young German Order" wore it, members of the HJ and the BdM wore it.
Also a common headgear in Christian Boy Scouts, and other youth organizations...

On my user picture you can see the BdM "Barett", worn by my great-aunt Helene Folkerts.

It was just a very traditional headgear, historical, one shouldn't read too much into all of that...
Simply "chic", like many young people today have a "BaseCap", it was probably nothing more...

Micha

Attachments

Last edited:
I carried around my black "tank beret" from my time in the German army for years, this hat is still around... ;)

Micha

* "Black soul, black conscience, Fatherland!"
That's how I learned it, black isn't a color, black is a condition. A traditional color in the German military.
Apart from that of the "Allgemeine SS" a good non-colour.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi 01raych,

the so-called "Barett", E: "Beret" was a was a very common headgear here in Germany after World War I.
It was worn privately, by members of the "Young German Youth", the youth organization of the "Young German Order" wore it, members of the HJ and the BdM wore it.
Also a common headgear in Christian Boy Scouts, and other youth organizations...

On my user picture you can see the BdM "Barett", worn by my great-aunt Helene Folkerts.

It was just a very traditional headgear, historical, one shouldn't read too much into all of that...
Simply "chic", like many young people today have a "BaseCap", it was probably nothing more...

Micha

True Micha but there were two specific types that were an official part of the BDM uniform until 1936 and I think that it's those that 01raych is asking about (y)

Hi Garry,

I remember from my childhood years an old gentleman, who was a postman for a local company in the post-war years.
The old gentleman was always dressed in dark, he wore a black beret, as so-called "Baskenmütze".

The man was "taboo" to us kids, it was a local rumor that the always rock-hard man was a former Waffen-SS General, who was released after years of captivity in Russia.
Who he was then, maybe in his late 50's or early 60's, a very old man to us kids.

We children called the old man the "Bat"
Years later the man was just gone, no longer existent.

All of this was typical of our childhood years, ex-war criminals found housing, a job, however menial, and if they just did the daily mail, or whatever, many worked as simple street sweepers, etc...

Getting back to our subject, the old gentleman always wore a cloak, and a black Beret, the man never spoke a single word.

Unfortunately I don't remember more...

Micha

P.S. Not even the local archives and memories tell anything about this man, nothing at all, pretty normal situation for me...

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

You can find more information on the different types of early BDM headwear here:

Jugendmütze HJ. / DJ. / BDM (beginning at post #4)

another useful thread:

If you have any more questions on these items please feel free to post them

:thumb:

Back