Cased Silverplate Hitler Youth Teaspoons

Thanks Received
Central Illinois - United States Of America
Saw this listed on a dealer's web site. Titled as a "Cased Set of Six Silverplate Hitler Youth Teaspoons by August Wellner & Sons." Sold immediately for $325. I'm no big fan of the HJ aspect of these as original but wanted the thoughts of others here. Have seen similar boxed sets of tableware with NSDAP and SS embellishments. Didn't like those either .....

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Saw this listed on a dealer's web site. Titled as a "Cased Set of Six Silverplate Hitler Youth Teaspoons by August Wellner & Sons." Sold immediately for $325. I'm no big fan of the HJ aspect of these as original but wanted the thoughts of others here. Have seen similar boxed sets of tableware with NSDAP and SS embellishments. Didn't like those either .....

Hi Lance,

there are fakes in all areas and especially HJ and SS. It is for these reasons that I prefer to abstain unless I have them in hand because a photo does not mean anything and it is not a guarantee.
For information, very few families had the financial resources to afford them.

Best Regards
Eric

43 euros per spoon. Look at it this way; were it not six genuine items, do you know what teaspoons of good sturdy workmanship in contrast to the stuff Red China floods the market with nowadays? I would expect to pay 10 euros per teaspoon without any markings. Think of the talking point it would be to actually use the spoons when a friend is over for afternoon kafee mit kuchen! Unless otherwise proved, there is always the possibility that they are genuine items with years of use ahead. What else would a person be spending the money on? What baffles me is why HJ teaspoons were even manufactured back in the day. A boy would not give you the time of day for such an item.

I assume they would have been used at the homes, offices and HJ institutions. There is a book with HJ-Heim furnishings and architecture, in the which I think I remember designs for cutlery.

To me, this is a normal set of spoons, as they have been in timeless design since historicism.
Am I the only one who finds that the colour of the engraved diamond differs considerably from the colour of the patina on the ornaments?
That should actually be identical if both were made at the same time. And it is precisely this fact that I have serious doubts about.
The box looks more like Imperial era to me, not the thirties. But it matches the (original) spoons.

Thank you, Eric.
There is a lot more wrong here. The marking is not August Wellner Söhne, Aue (by the way, I didn't find this design in the list either, but it doesn't have to be complete). And if you look closely, the W in the AWS has clear Art Nouveau ornamentation. As I said, for me everything fits into the Imperial era. But not the HJ diamond which is perhaps a hundred years younger. It's a pity about the beautiful old coffee spoons. (Tea doesn't fit so well with Germany, and these are also bigger).

Hello,

I had this spoon in my collection a few years ago and it was genuine.

Attachments

Thank you, Eric.
There is a lot more wrong here. The marking is not August Wellner Söhne, Aue (by the way, I didn't find this design in the list either, but it doesn't have to be complete). And if you look closely, the W in the AWS has clear Art Nouveau ornamentation. As I said, for me everything fits into the Imperial era. But not the HJ diamond which is perhaps a hundred years younger. It's a pity about the beautiful old coffee spoons. (Tea doesn't fit so well with Germany, and these are also bigger).
I was offered red tea only once in all my visits to Germany. I well remember in a couple of visits to the DDR coffee was the preferred drink although it had a very different taste to the coffee I was used to. I learned how important daily afternoon coffee mit kuchen was for my host family. I looked forward to that. Travelling to the DDR in many ways was more like being in the Third Reich given the buildings which had not seen a lick of paint since Hitler's time.

Back