Change to the manufacturing procedure for HJ achievement badges

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
I came across an instruction the other day that talked about a change to the manufacturing method for HJ achievement badges in 1937. I wonder if that is when the hollow versions were discontinued? I would think that they were phased out earlier than 1937 but I would love to know what material change they are talking about. Anyway, I've translated the instruction below:

"For your information, our March order of achievement badges of the old type have not been fulfilled due to changes in the RZM regulations on materials and the resultant lengthy discussions/negotiations within the relevant departments. Bronze and Black (Eisen) achievement badges have been out of stock for a month now and the only badges that we can award are the silver level as we still have a stock of those. We would ask that units pass on this information in order to avoid requests for new badges being forwarded to the RJF"

Source:

Reichsbefehl 21/II reported in:
Gebietsbefehl Sachsen A/11/IV dated 22.6.1937

Last edited:
Hi Garry

I do not think we should go as far as 1937 before the hollow version was phased out.

Try reading post 46 and 47 in this thread, where it appears that numbers over 3,000 hardly exist on the hollow ones:

And when you look at the list of assigned black versions:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

then it must be before August 1936 that they were phased out, when at this time No. 3469 was assigned.

Just m.h.o.

Michael :denmark

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Hi Michael,

Yes, I think you're right about the hollow badges (y) Theoretically we might be able to perhaps see the change mentioned in the order by looking at black and bronze achievement badges that were issued in early 1937 and those issued in 1938. Perhaps they are lighter or heavier or have some characteristic that can be seen.

Hi Garry

In addition to the hollow version of the black one (see post 29 in the thread about the hollow ones) I also have a massive version with number 9550 - so awarded approx. February 1937.

I also have a silver version with number 60240 - so awarded approx. April 1939.

I can not immediately see any difference in them, so I'm excited to hear what you find out what happened in 1937.

Michael :denmark

Good stuff Michael. The quick way to get to the bottom of this might be the RZM Mitteilungsblatt or some other RZM publication. I am hoping that Wim Saris will see this thread as he is most likely to have this kind of info for 1937 :thumb:

Back