Colour of Flakhelfer shoulder strap buttons

Thanks Received
Hello
a question regarding flakhelfer buttons for shoulders traps color, is silver or blue gray
Thank You

According to the Luftwaffe buckle I'd tend to "feldblau" (field blue). Something shiny would not have been as helpful in matters of camouflage.
I doubt that there was a special regulation. And half of the Göring ministry confidential instruction regarding Luftwaffenhelfer (January 26, 1943) was only on paper and had nothing to do with reality.

Are there any regulations about the colour of these buttons? I've had a look but can't find anything on the forum about them.

In Göring's confidental order on Luftwaffenhelfer (January 26, 1943) is stated under point 18 only this (quoted from Nicolaisen, Flakhelfer): "Die Luftwaffenhelfer tragen die Uniform der Flieger-HJ. Gebietszugehörigkeits-Abzeichen der HJ. sind neben dem Lw.-Helfer-Abzeichen weiterzutragen. Näheres Anlage 7B." (Flakhelfer have to wear the Flieger-HJ uniform. District triangles are further to be used [As we know: That never happened.] additional to Flakhelfer badge. For details see annex 7B.)

As Nicolaisen (standard reference on Flak- and Marinehelfer) stressed, half of this order was never put into practice because of being completely unrealistic (e.g. they should do HJ service additionally).
Unfortunately, he only cites Annex 3, the list of penalties), and the oath. And I found no other sources for this document.
But there's another, more extensive book by himself (more than 1700 pages). I'll receive it next week. So if there are new findings I'll inform you here.

So it is highly possible that it was used what ever had been available.

Last edited:
Hi Jean François, no problem. That's what we're all here, isn't it?
The book is ordered (it had been on my wishlist for some time), I hope to get it on Wednesday. Let's see if it can bring some light into that question.

Well, two thick volumes arrived yesterday. After having a short glimpse, I can say that there is a bulk of information on Flakhelfer/Marinehelfer from almost every German town, the higher schools they came from and so on. Highly interesting and quite enough reading stuff for six weeks of holidays ;-).
But ... the orders are to be found in his second book which I don't - yet :001_rolleyes: - have. I am working on it. I would therefore ask you to be patient. If there are any news of course, I will tell you.

Hello Jack

I wish you a good reading and research, like what when we have a thirst for knowledge everything is possible
I don't have the chance to speak ENGLAND and I often regret it
thank you again for your help and research
Jean Francois

Yes, finally got that last book. Annex 7 B is included ;-).

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Point a) includes those things the Flakhelfer had to bring with themselves - Hj uniform, underwear, belt, toothbrush, shaving things ("if needed" ;-)), and so on. They got a compensation paid out for those clothes being transferred into Luftwaffe property.

Point b) provides the Luftwaffe: uniform (according to the Flieger-HJ model), dog tag, canvas overall (Drilch menas Drillich) - the everyday wear -, and some garments.

That is what theory says.
Here is a photo of a complete Luftwaffenhelfer (grammar school) class, dated May 1944. Have a look at their buckles - they should be Luftwaffe but are HJ

And one of the guys is wearing a Seesportprüfung B arm patch but is not a Marinehelfer.

So there are a lot of non-regulation things to be found in the field of Flakhelfer.
Of course, that wasn't of importance in their life.
Having a HJ Heimabend? Having to establish a choir, an orchestra? Doing 2 hours a week field and shooting exercises as the Reichjugendführung had planned on 19 January 1943? Ridiculous to them, especially after the increasing of air raids.
Then, as Nicolaisen stated, they lost their enthusiasm, but continued to do their duties.

(The weight of the shells was more than 20 kg each, every 3 seconds one shot.)

Attachments

Last edited:
thank you Jack
always a pleasure to read you, the information you send us is very interesting, and to see photos in large format on the forum
Jean Francois

Back