Dem Sieger Baden HJ plaque

Thanks Received
I’d like to show an item I picked up at a show a few years ago. It’s a HJ plaque for a sports festival of the Baden Hitler youth in 1939. It is a bronze version and has the case with it. The maker is B.H. Mayer of Pforzheim. The size roughly 3 X 2 ¼ inches. Apparently it was awarded for participation in various types of athletic events. Has anyone seen any of these with actual award information to a certain individual or where these just handed out if someone won in an event & that was it. Again, thanks for taking a look and any information or addition or correction to my information is appreciated. I’m sorry I didn’t take German in high school way back when. I find that using google translate sometimes with items gives me wildly differing translations.

Duzig(Bill)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Bill,

Just a little background on the event itself:

There were four levels of sporting competition of this type within the Hitler Youth and they were:

Reichssportwettkampf (Reich-wide, introduced 1937. Successor to the Deutsches Jugendfest)
-->
Bann- und Untergausportfest ( best teams/individuals from the Reichssportwettkampf)
-->
Gebiets- und Obergausportfest
(the best teams/individuals from the Bann and Untergausportfest)
-->
Sommerkampfspiele der HJ
(the best teams/individuals from the Gebiet and Obergausportfest)

In Gebiet Baden in 1939 the dates for the competitions were:

Reichssportwettkampf: Reich-wide. Held on the 3rd and 4th of June.

Bann and Untergausportfest: held shortly before the Gebiet and Obergausportfest.

Gebiet and Obergausportfest: The Gebiet and Obergausportfest 1939 for Baden took place in Karlsruhe between the 12th and the 16th of July with the events being athletics, small-bore shooting, paramilitary pentathlon, football, handball, hockey, tennis and rowing.

Having said all of that I can't find anything that shows exactly what the winners were awarded at the Bann/Untergau level in Gebiet Baden but clearly the team and individual winners would have received prizes. The plaque that you show doesn't mention a sporting discipline so I would imagine that winners received one of those and a certificate showing the sporting discipline. These had different designs. Here's an example of the latter from Bann 94:

In October 1939 the RJF standardised sports certificates into five different types with type 5 having a metal plaque inset into the folder. These could be ordered for RM2,95 (for simple text) and came in gold, silver and bronze.

Attachments

Garry, I can't thank you enough for that detailed information regarding the plaque and the levels involved with this competition. Searching online I found only the usual same description with really no details regarding the plaque or competition. Really nice to be able to receive detailed information dealing with various items that one owns. Just fantastic! It is appreciated
Bill

Back