Green and white badge with "JV"

Thanks Received
Hi all, first time poster but been collecting for a few years in the UK. I collect all manner of WW2 items as well as HJ/DJ/BDM, but this item has been bugging me for years. All I have been told about it is that it is 'from the right era', but no one so far has been able to tell me what it is. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :eek:)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

This is only a guess but if we assume that JV stands for Jungvolk then green/white during that period is associated with the Steierischer Heimatbund (Slovenia) which, like Germany, also had a Jungvolk within its youth section.

Thanks Crack, it's a bit of a strange badge which has baffled everyone that I've shown it to. Does it look 'from the right era' to anyone else? Despite collecting quite a few HJ items I've never really delved into the history of who made what, for how long and in what style so this is new to me...

Your membership badge is First Austrian Republic (1919-1934).
The JV means "Jung Vaterland" (Young Fatherland), it's the youth organisation of the Austrian Heimwehr.
Pieces are offered between 40 and 50 euros on the internet.

Regards,

Jack

That's fantastic. Thank you Jack, I might keep the badge just because I've never seen another one. Much appreciated, Ray

No problem, Ray. There were a similar badge for Heimwehr adults, of the same colours but with HW lettering.
I haven't in-depth knowledge of Austrian history but it should be dated around 1934 because the Jung-Vaterland ended (together with the Ostmarkjugend/East March Youth) in the then newly founded Austrian Jungvolk (ÖJV) in August 1936.
So you have an interesting piece of Austrian history in your hands :).

Some (short) information is to be found on Wikipedia: Osterreichisches Jungvolk - Wikipedia
German Wiki reports on "eventually 2,000 local groups with 70,000 members nationwide" for Jung-Vaterland.

Thanks, Crack. Sometimes you learn something, and sometimes you can teach something :001_smile:.

Back