"Hitler-Jugend" cap band on grey sidecap

Pimpf359

Thanks Received
Hello Friends,

I noticed this cap on a website. What do you think about that? Is it for children of KDF Marine ships?
Somewhere I read that these tapes are from the KDF ( Kraft Durch Freude ).

I am happy about your answers.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

What a very strange item. I can't imagine that it has a snowball's chance in hell of being from the period.

It must be a ribbon for a kind of "Kieler Anzug" . There are a lot of sort with "Panzer " or "Deutschland " or "Stuka " motto. But there are for civil nothing to do with the NSDAP.
Most of the "schiffchen" are blak or dark blue but sometime red or like this one show from PIMPF359

Tally

IMO, it has nothing to do with KDF. This is an example, from my collection, of a KDF tally and these tallies were actually souveniers, called "gala tallies". There are no photographs of any worn on a merchant sailor's cap since they were not tallies in that sense at all. Just a memory of the cruise, but very nice. I own around 40 of them.

Attachments

It is most likely a child's tally, and there are many different ones that were made as patriotic tallies, sewn into a home made hat. I would think an older brother was in the HJ and this was for his little brother who wanted to be part of what was going on. You can see these for many different warships for example. For wealthier families, full little uniforms existed complete with a sailors flat hat.

John

Hi John,
Thank you for your answer and your good explanation or opinion.

Kiel sailors dress was common for young children, even in the U.S. and other countries aside from Germany. Period photos show this is true.

Hi
You right gefolgschaft,
some year ago i saw one from England and an other one fom USA , from the 30 or 50 th ,told me the seller.

Hi BEITZEN7 ,
could you show us some (or All !) of them if you have time ,please ?
Thanks
bertl

One can find quite some information and photographs on the Internet about the "Kieler Anzug".
Also at eBay. This is offered right now. And as you see it was not only worn by young boys, but
girls as well. One could write a book about it!!

This is me in about 1945, wearing a sort of naval dress. There was no indication on the tally
(see second photo).

During the Weimar and Third Reich period special ships for training boys were active.
Various great and quite rare tallies do exist for them. Here a sample with the indication:
R.V.S. Schiffsjungenschule Hamburg

The abbraviation RVS stands for Reichsverkehrsgruppe-Seeschiffahrt. This tally was in
use during the TR-period. Also tallies with other city-names do exist. I thought there were
at least three, or even four of them. About the last I am not sure. This type of tally was
not a souvenir form, as the many forms for ships, serving for the KdF. These tallies were
a sort of souvenir.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks for the many answers and explanations so far. The band is a souvenir and nothing official!

Wilhelm is exactly correct. Long tradition of children patriotic clothing in Germany.

While not official, it is quite interesting. I do not recollect seeing one of these for the HJ so I think very collectible. John

I noticed that none of the gala tallies I posted were actually KdF. Nearly all merchant ships, including the subset of KdF vessels, that carried passengers had these ribbons. Same with other countries also, like France and you see them often--especially Normandie and France.

Anyway, here are a few KdF gala tallies. John

Attachments

I got this volume today to get and here are some pictures of it. The band is 51 cm long and 1.9 cm wide. The fabric is the same as the HJ Streifendienst cufftitle.
Certainly, the band has nothing to do with the HJ but it looks very good in my opinion and fits in well with my collection. :001_smile:

Attachments

Back