Hitler youth shorts length?

Thanks Received
anyone have any idea of what length the HJ shorts were? it looks like 5 inches to me but i could be wrong.

many thanks.

The standard sizes ranged from the tiny child size 5 (years) to the very impressive adult size 54.

Or do you mean the length of the trouser legs? According to the very precise regulations, they had to end "eine Handbreit oberhalb des Knies" - a hand's width above the upper edge of the kneecap and should not be shorter, they said, to avoid colds.

The standard sizes ranged from the tiny child size 5 (years) to the very impressive adult size 54.

Or do you mean the length of the trouser legs? According to the very precise regulations, they had to end "eine Handbreit oberhalb des Knies" - a hand's width above the upper edge of the kneecap and should not be shorter, they said, to avoid colds.
the trouser length, and what would the manual mean by saying ''avoid colds''? never heard that before.

cheers!

The side length of the standard confection sizes ranged from 41 to 63 cm (16 - 25").
Uncovered legs in bad weather meant the risk of catching a cold or other illness, especially among the younger ones.

Most of the questions, asked by Volksund, were answered in regulations.
The sizes for trousers were for example in the manufacturing regulations
of 1936.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Exactly ;-). That was my source too.
In the appendix you will also find the "stocky" and "slim" special sizes, but that would really be going too far.

Most of the questions, asked by Volksund, were answered in regulations.
The sizes for trousers were for example in the manufacturing regulations
of 1936.

sadly i cannot understand the regulations as there is no accurate translation of them of my knowledge, so please do forgive me.

these regulations and manuals can be simply found on archive.org, correct? or are there other places where you can find them.

many thanks!

With the table you do not need a translation. I can read German as my native language (Dutch).
I never quote from websites or even post-war books, but from the original manufacturing regulations
(this was from 1936 what I showed and Jack has it also), which are in my possession!

I do research since the earliest 1970s and own not just from HJ stuff, but actually from practically
all organizations. I wrote articles for various magazines about subjects even Germans had not heard
about before.
You can find the information at many places, I can tell you!

this is just a part of all I do own!

I see you have my handbook. Check the footnotes and you learn what I have,
but there is more I have!

Attachments

Last edited:
With the table you do not need a translation. I can read German as my native language (Dutch).
I never quote from websites or even post-war books, but from the original manufacturing regulations
(this was from 1936 what I showed and Jack has it also), which are in my possession!

I do research since the earliest 1970s and own not just from HJ stuff, but actually from practically
all organizations. I wrote articles for various magazines about subjects even Germans had not heard
about before.
You can find the information at many places, I can tell you!

this is just a part of all I do own!

I see you have my handbook. Check the footnotes and you learn what I have,
but there is more I have!
very nice! the chart for me is confusing sadly as i am used to inches instead of CM, but do you have a idea of what page the footnotes are on? as i cannot seem to find them. please do forgive me for asking many questions! i just joined and started this hobby so i am very inexperienced, many thanks for understanding!

cheers!

The first column indicates the size. 5-12 were the children's sizes at that time, referring to the age.
38-54 are the adult sizes.
Waist size, lower width, inseam, side length are the other columns.
You can easily convert the centimetres. 2.54 centimetres are one inch.

Back