HJ Altenberg fanfare banner

ewan0939

Thanks Received
Good morning all,

Please excuse my absence from the forum. This was due to my very recent marriage, to the lucky Mrs Fleming lol. A fantastic weekend was had by all.
As they say when you get married it is for "richer and poorer ", well I am richer in love and life but certainly poorer when it comes to purchasing items for my small collection.

But all is good, picked up this postcard which stated " HJ Altenburg markt,Ecke,Sporenstrabe " but what i really liked was the early double sided trumpet banners with the Lion from the Coat of Arms of the town of Altenburg, i will also post photos of an Imperial Coat of Arms and a more modern coat of arms.

On a separate note, Garry i tried to access the bann lists to find more details about Altenburg but found I did not have access ? could you please grant me access. thank you.

Best regards...Ewan

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I'm revamping the Bann lists and Wiki currently Ewan. What do you need to know?

Congrats on your marriage by the way :)

Hello Ewan,

First of all congratulations on your wedding!

What does the back of your card say? Surely AltenbUrg?
Your impressive coat of arms in the middle, the one with the German Imperial crown on top, shows at the bottom the coat of arms of the town of Kelmis in German-speaking Belgium, also called AltenbErg (on the left probably the Flemish lion, on the right the coat of arms of the Kingdom of the Netherlands).
The two have nothing to do with each other.

Altenburg today belongs to Thuringia and was even the residential town of a small, independent duchy of Saxony-Altenburg until 1918.

The Prussian eagle in the middle and Saxony do not go together at all ;).

Hi Garry,

Thank you, it was a great day. I was trying to find the Gebiet and Banns for Altunburg ?

Best regards...Ewan

Last edited:
Hello Ewan,

Your impressive coat of arms in the middle, the one with the German Imperial crown on top, shows at the bottom the coat of arms of the town of Kelmis in German-speaking Belgium, also called AltenbErg (on the left probably the Flemish lion, on the right the coat of arms of the Kingdom of the Netherlands).

Altenburg today belongs to Thuringia and was even the residential town of a small, independent duchy of Saxony-Altenburg until 1918.

Hi Jack,

Thank you, our wedding was a great gathering, of family, friends and a right mixture of civilians and military.Your right of course, and my lack of attention to detail the writing says"Altunburg" not Altenburg.
A great photo of so many "Coat of Arms" trumpet fanfares. I wonder why the guy in the middle rank has no headwear on ? strange eh.

Best regards...Ewan
Hello Ewan,

Hi Garry,

Thank you, it was a great day. I was trying to find the Gebiet and Banns for Altunburg ?

Best regards...Ewan
Here you go Ewan:

Bann 361 Altenburg, Gebiet 17 Thüringen. Bann raised Jan 1936. Sleeve triangle: Mitte/Thüringen.

Hi Ewan,

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at your wedding. All the best for the further course of your life together.
The postcard is definitely Altenberg/Thuringia. There is also a Sporenstraße there.
But I think the coat of arms in the middle has no relation to it, for the reasons mentioned above. The state coats of arms on the left and right have no relation to Thuringia, and Kelmis is in German-speaking Belgium (which the other two coats of arms match).
Moreover, it is the German imperial eagle from the period 1871 - 1918.

Hi Ewan,

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at your wedding. All the best for the further course of your life together.
The postcard is definitely Altenberg/Thuringia. There is also a Sporenstraße there.
But I think the coat of arms in the middle has no relation to it, for the reasons mentioned above. The state coats of arms on the left and right have no relation to Thuringia, and Kelmis is in German-speaking Belgium (which the other two coats of arms match).
Moreover, it is the German imperial eagle from the period 1871 - 1918.
Hi Jack,

Thank you, life is good. It is Altenburg/Thuringia, I looked it up, it has a big HJ Heim still in use today as part of a youth organisation. At a quick count x 10 trumpet banners, I wonder in the future if one will turn up on the forum ? You never know.

I am very sure that the heraldic animal on the banners is the Meissen lion, since the entire "Thuringian" duchies go back to the same ruling house of the Wettins, who also ruled Saxony. Power was divided between two brothers in 1485, but they continued to be called Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Weimar, etc.
There is no question that the postcard shows this Altenburg. I just wanted to say that the second (coloured) picture does not belong to it, but the third one with the more modern coat of arms does.

Back