HJ Armband from student at NPEA Naumburg

Hi Jean,

Wim is right. In German, a Burg is what a castle is in English.
So, if you translate the word as such, it's perfectly clear.
But you're not completely wrong either. Life settled around a castle, craftsmen, merchants, at some point the lord of the castle was granted market rights by the sovereign, which attracted even more people. To secure the growing settlement, a fortified (later: city) wall was built around it, and so on. Therefore, many old castles - but by no means all - are associated with towns. Others had the task of protecting trade routes, for example.

This is what the German rulebook Duden says about "Burg":
Burg
/Búrg/
Learn pronunciation
Noun, feminine [die]

befestigter Wohn- und Verteidigungsbau mittelalterlicher Feudalherren
"eine Burg aus dem 13. Jahrhundert"

fortified residential and defensive building of medieval feudal lords
"a castle from the 13th century"
Hunter's language
Beaver Castle

Jean: I said in another thread: study and learn.
Burg = burcht, which is a castle. Always. In a castle could live many people,
not only the nobles, but also civilians. Around a town one could also built
walls, but that is something different. In such an occasion it always is a town,
but not a "Burg"!
When there is a Burg within such walls of a town, then it still is town and Burg.

I do not need google for a translation. Read what Jack says.

Jean: I said in another thread: study and learn.
Burg = burcht, which is a castle. Always. In a castle could live many people,
not only the nobles, but also civilians. Around a town one could also built
walls, but that is something different. In such an occasion it always is a town,
but not a "Burg"!
When there is a Burg within such walls of a town, then it still is town and Burg.

I do not need google for a translation. Read what Jack says.
Perhaps the difficulty I have is that I am writing in English and in this language burg normally means a town. I'm afraid you have dug your heels in on this, Wilhelm, so I am confident nothing I write will persuade you that I am not wrong. Jack has not been so dogmatic, conceding that I am not completely wrong. LOL You do not need a dictionary definition, you wrote. I would, nevertheless, like to leave you with a couple of definitions from Merriam-Webster which is an authority in the English language; burg. 1: an ancient or medieval fortress or walled town
2. [German Burg]: CITY, TOWN

Burg | Definition of Burg by Merriam-Webster

It is understandable why I thought as I did, I hope you can see.

Jean, Wim is not "dogmatic", he doesn't need a dictionary because, being the great researcher that he is, he can open up the German sources in the original.

Perhaps the difficulty I have is that I am writing in English and in this language burg normally means a town (...)
I would, nevertheless, like to leave you with a couple of definitions from Merriam-Webster which is an authority in the English language; burg. 1: an ancient or medieval fortress or walled town
2. [German Burg]: CITY, TOWN

And that is exactly the flaw in your approach. After all, we are talking about the meaning of Burg in German, and there the most prestigious English dictionary counts for nothing, only a German one. And there Burg as such means only castle, even if it occurs today as -burg in the names of cities. Why this is so, I have tried to explain.

I would suggest to end this discussion here, after all you don't always have to agree - even if you yourself are utterly convinced to be right, be it with names or words or whatever :yo:.

this discussion is of no use for me. An Jack is right.
I know from nature what in general is meant with the word Burg.
For that I do not need dictionaries or websites.
For your convenience Jean: the castle (Burg) of Braunfels. The city
or town has the same name Braunfels.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

I agree to end this discussion and focus on the armband and the name.

Attachments

Jean, Wim is not "dogmatic", he doesn't need a dictionary because, being the great researcher that he is, he can open up the German sources in the original.

And that is exactly the flaw in your approach. After all, we are talking about the meaning of Burg in German, and there the most prestigious English dictionary counts for nothing, only a German one. And there Burg as such means only castle, even if it occurs today as -burg in the names of cities. Why this is so, I have tried to explain.

I would suggest to end this discussion here, after all you don't always have to agree - even if you yourself are utterly convinced to be right, be it with names or words or whatever :yo:.

this discussion is of no use for me. An Jack is right.
I know from nature what in general is meant with the word Burg.
For that I do not need dictionaries or websites.
For your convenience Jean: the castle (Burg) of Braunfels. The city
or town has the same name Braunfels.

I agree to end this discussion and focus on the armband and the name.
OK by me.

Back