HJ Heimbeschaffung Plakette - HJ Hostel Medallion

Thanks Received
How rare is theis Medallion ? Ailsby says extremely rare. 70mm silver plated. One in case in spain for sale at e3300.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

What is his evidence? Knowing Ailsby it will be patchy and not his own research even if he does offer evidence for these being extremely rare. All I can say is that this one is definitely a level above the one usually sold by dealers but quite how Ailsby knows how many were awarded would definitely be of interest. Rare is either "hardly any survived" or "hardly any were awarded" and again, knowing Ailsby he won't give a straight answer. Having said all of that I would think that there were quite a lot of awards of this item because the HJ Heimbeschaffung programme was so huge.

Sure but as ever, something is only worth what people are prepared to pay and if the thing on offer is open to exploitation then the seller can often win. Heimbeschaffung was a big programme which aimed to provide lower-level units with a local building where HJ training could take place. Perhaps some guys on the forum will know more but with that many HJ facilities needed across the german reich I would think that if this medal was only rarely awarded then what for? I'm happy to bet big that Ailsby doesn't know.

I've taken the following from the original order dated 22.10.1937:

These HJ Heim-Plaketten as they were known, were introduced in October 1937 by Reichsjugendführer von Schirach. They were awarded to NSDAP and state personalities who had been directly involved in the planning and execution/provisioning of buildings and/or funding as part of the Heimbauprogramm (provision or construction of buildings solely for use by the Hitler Youth for weekly meetings/training).

The medallions were awarded by von Schirach and presented to the recipients by the Gebietsführer (or those designated by him to do so) in the area where the HJ home was located. Suggestions for potential recipients were submitted to the office within the RJF responsible for the programme with the final decision being made by von Schirach.

I have no idea how many were awarded but as Crack said, it was a big programme. These awards wouldn't have been given out willy-nilly though but rather sparingly and only to important people.

Here's a newspaper cutting from 1.11.1937 showing the award:

Here's a report from 1.9.1938 regarding the award of a Heim-Plakette to the industrialist (Generaldirektor of DEMAG) Dr. Reuter in Duisburg for the provision of a large sum of money. The presentation was made by Gebietsführer Fritz Striewe of Gebiet Ruhr-Niederrhein:

Attachments

I find it nearly impossible to put a value to this ?

I was given this some years ago I did not know what it was but could see a hj diamond.It was totally black. I took some alcohol and a soft cloth and rubbed it some and wow brilliant silver finish appeared like a new silver dollar. Maybe i devalued it idk.

A good rule of thumb in my opinion is to get a few prices off dealer sites, find the average and take 20% off. Often, that's a more realistic collector to collector price. Nice item though.

Heim Plankette

Heim Plankette with a little alcohol

Attachments

Back