HJ high lace boots

Hi Osvald21,

good footwear was expensive, especially in the 1920s and 1930s here in Germany.
Not every family was able to equip their son with purely leather shoes for the HJ or the DJ, many shoes and lace-up boots consisted of a mix of leather and less valuable materials.

Many of you will be familiar with the attached photo of the little "Stormtrooper" in his lace-up boots, the picture speaks for itself...
Also attached is an old advertisement from those years, maybe just as interesting...

Nice topic, thanks for posting it, and for your photographic evidence! (y)

Micha

* Small note on the edge of this topic:
My grandfather's officer's boots in what was then the RAD were made in Hungary, handcrafted from "Juchtenleder".
The officers were vain, nothing was good enough...

Juchtenleder: Juchtenleder – Wikipedia

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nice photo, some more high boots :)

Thanks, those are also very nice photographs. Especially the one with the portrait on the table.

By the way, I think it's pointless to talk about the footwear of the time, it doesn't lead anywhere...
Families were poor or rich, and certainly nobody wanted to see their son standing in line with shoes made of cardboard.

I have an "aversion" to period clothing, all of this makes me uncomfortable, I can't even touch this stuff...
Our friend Rainer found a Wehrmacht fur coat at a flea market in the 1980s.
The coat stank horribly, our friend walked around in it for a weekend, disgusting!

Those are not good "finds"! :confused:

Micha

The search for uniforms was a special topic, even more than fifty years ago.

I couldn't stand the old clothes, couldn't even touch them.
Jumping insects were just too much for me.
The musty smell made me uneasy, and there was a lot of this stuff, everywhere...

It may make you smile, but it was just like that...

Micha

By the way, I think it's pointless to talk about the footwear of the time, it doesn't lead anywhere...
Families were poor or rich, and certainly nobody wanted to see their son standing in line with shoes made of cardboard.

I have an "aversion" to period clothing, all of this makes me uncomfortable, I can't even touch this stuff...
Our friend Rainer found a Wehrmacht fur coat at a flea market in the 1980s.
The coat stank horribly, our friend walked around in it for a weekend, disgusting!

Those are not good "finds"! :confused:

Micha

Not totally pointless as there was RZM footwear for the youth. This is an important consideration for collectors who, for example, might wish to put a uniform ensemble together that is in accordance with RZM policy. However, as you say, there was always a financial consideration and we know from period photos that many different types of footwear were worn. I have yet to see any reprimands in orders about kids not wearing RZM footwear despite there being many about other uniform items.

Hi Garry,

I think of my grandfather's uniforms, that we kids used to play with in the early 1960's...

The clothes stank, we stole one or the other item from the closet in the basement, the hats were interesting for us boys, the edged weapons...
The whole house was full of these inheritances, everything was kept, everything.

I remember the smell of those clothes, after her father died in 1967, my mother had the house dredged up.
My mother finally wanted to get rid of the memories of the "Third Reich", understandably.

The old stuff burned people's souls, they were fed up with all that...

Micha, born 1956

Back