HJ In Sports Top Portrait

Thanks Received
Hello all
I wanted to share a photo from my collection that shows a sports diamond in use on the arm.
These diamonds were for the BDM but the HJ were allowed to use them? Was this authorised ?
And what kind of sports do you think this boy competed in? I think I have seen this diamond on the arm used for skiing?

Thank you for any help and its great to see this forum super active again

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

Yes, these were introduced for the HJ/DJ tracksuit ("one hand-width below the left shoulder seam") in November 1936. The initial pattern ("Type 1") HJ/DJ sports vest had the same patch at centre-chest. The DJ continued to wear the type 1 after the HJ moved on to Types 2 and 3.

The patch was also worn on certain types of sports strips (field hockey, fencing etc). I'll dig that info out in a mo :thumb:

Edit.

here's the rest of that info:

HJ/DJ

Generally the patch was worn centre chest but for the following types of sports it was worn differently.

Swimming: centre of trunks.
Tennis: left chest.
Fencing: left upper arm.
Judo: left chest.
Weight lifting: Type 3 sports vest with swastika.
Canoeing/sailing: left chest.
Cycling: DJ wore the patch centre chest. HJ the Type 3 sports vest.
Skating (ice and roller): left upper arm. DJ: left chest.
Ice hockey and roller hockey: centre chest or upper left arm but all players had to wear it in the same place.
Speed skating (ice and roller): patch was worn but position not specified.
Skiing: left upper arm.

BDM/JM/BDM-Werk Glaube und Schönheit

Generally the patch was worn centre chest but for the following types of sports it was worn differently.

Handball and field hockey: left chest.
Tennis: left chest.
Fencing: left upper arm. For left-handed females on the right upper arm.
Canoeing/rowing/sailing: not mentioned.
Ice-Skating (ice and roller): left upper arm.
Roller-skating: same but if top had short sleeves the patch was worn chest left.
Skiing: left upper arm.

Last edited:
Nowhere else I can get this level of detail. Thank you Gary ! Answered all my questions !

I just got this super HJ boxing photo, hope you enjoy

Attachments

That's a great photo (y) This was in memory of the Gebietsmeisterschaft so these chaps had already become the best in their Bann.

Nice souvenir photo of a Gebiet Championship match, as the reverse reports.
G. Preiß versus H. Nienhaus (if I can recognise it correctly).
For those interested in writing: a funny mix of Sütterlin and Antiqua, and a t is missing in -meisterschaft :biggrin1:

Thanks for deciphering those names Jack :thumb: I went off to see if I could identify these chaps and I got lucky and found them.

Both G. Preiß and J. Nienhaus boxed in the 1940 Gebiet 9 Westfalen Gebietsmeisterschaft. Both were from Gladbeck and so were members of Bann 262 Bottrop-Gladbeck.

The competition was fought in two Groups (1 and 2 - sometimes reported as groups A and B)* and over three stages: preliminaries, intermediates and the finals. Both G. Preiß (Group 1) and J. Nienhaus (Group 2) qualified in Hamm for the finals in their respective groups in the middleweight division. The finals took place on the second/third of March to decide the Gebietsmeister and therefore who would go forward to represent Gebiet Westfalen at the Jugendmeisterschaften in Dresden and unfortunately both Preiß and Nienhaus lost. Busch, who beat Nienhaus would go on to become Jugendmeister for the second year in a row.

Here's a cutting showing all of the qualifiers for the final stage:

*Group 1: fighters with 10 wins "the best boxers". Group 2: fighters with five wins "the less experienced boxers".

Attachments

Last edited:
No fucking way, you both just blew my mind. You are both incredible ! Thank you so very much !

Back