HJ Landjahr ensemble

Thanks Received
I am still trying to learn all of the nuances to HJ uniform regulations, so I would like to ask for the assistance of the membership here to fill in some gaps as I try to source the right components for a Landjähr participant.

Shirt: Brown service shirt for the HJ summer uniform.
Triangle: green "Landjähr"
Shoulder boards: brown examples to button on with chain stitched "L"
Cap: brown sidecap with green piping or brown visor cap with green piping?
Belt and Cross Strap: black (or brown?)
Belt buckle: silver? gold? is there a specific buckle? did HJ buckles evolve much year over year?
Lanyard, would he wear one? and which one would be appropriate?

I need to understand what year which changes were made so that the pieces don't contradict themselves..
  • When did the brown shoulder boards change to black?
  • If the belt and cross strap changed from brown to black in 1937, which color belt/ cross strap is appropriate for the brown shirt with brown shoulder boards? and what buckle?
  • I would like to eventually source some brown shorts, but that will be a time consuming endeavor: would they be appropriate, or are the black shorts the only correct ones for this?
  • Which cap is most appropriate, based on the timeframe of the other pieces, the visor cap or the side cap?
are there any other things to consider? I want it to be as period-correct as possible.

Last edited:
I am still trying to learn all of the nuances to HJ uniform regulations, so I would like to ask for the assistance of the membership here to fill in some gaps as I try to source the right components for a Landjähr participant.

Shirt: Brown service shirt for the HJ summer uniform.
Triangle: green "Landjähr"
Shoulder boards: brown examples to button on with chain stitched "L"
Cap: brown sidecap with green piping or brown visor cap with green piping?
Belt and Cross Strap: black (or brown?)
Belt buckle: silver? gold? is there a specific buckle? did HJ buckles evolve much year over year?
Lanyard, would he wear one? and which one would be appropriate?

I need to understand what year which changes were made so that the pieces don't contradict themselves..
  • When did the brown shoulder boards change to black?
  • If the belt and cross strap changed from brown to black in 1937, which color belt/ cross strap is appropriate for the brown shirt with brown shoulder boards? and what buckle?
  • I would like to eventually source some brown shorts, but that will be a time consuming endeavor: would they be appropriate, or are the black shorts the only correct ones for this?
  • Which cap is most appropriate, based on the timeframe of the other pieces, the visor cap or the side cap?
are there any other things to consider? I want it to be as period-correct as possible.

"
Shirt: Brown service shirt for the HJ summer uniform ✅
Triangle: green "Landjähr" ✅
Shoulder boards: brown examples to button on with chain stitched "L" If you depict 1938/9 you can alternatively use the post 1938 black shoulder straps with Landjahr L. Money was usually tight and often manufacturers could not keep up with demand so some leeway was given to members wearing incorrect combinations and this can often be seen on period photographs.

Cap: brown sidecap with green piping or brown visor cap with green piping? Summer cap (red "Hochrot" piping)* would be easier tp procure but the older cap with green piping would work for the same reason I gave above.

Belt and Cross Strap: black (or brown?) Black easier to procure and would be correct for a 1938/1939 Landjahr impression anyway.

Belt buckle: silver? gold? is there a specific buckle? did HJ buckles evolve much year over year? The standard silver HJ "Blut und Ehre"buckle. There was no rectangular HJ buckle with a gold finish.

Lanyard, would he wear one? and which one would be appropriate? All depends on whether he held a rank at his sending unit. I would go for either no rank or a lower rank as it makes things less complicated. If you go for a lower rank, the shoulder strap rank does not have to match the lanyard for a wartime impression because, beginning in 1939, the lanyard denoted the wearer's appointment and not necessarily his rank. For example, someone holding the rank of Kameradschaftsführer (one pip on each strap) may have held the appointment of Scharführer. In this case he would wear straps with one pip and a green lanyard instead of red/white.

General notes:

HJ metal diamond badge on the left chest pocket. A tinnie dating to 1939 on the same pocket would be a nice touch. HJ achievement badge on the right chest pocket (perhaps even a HJ shooting badge) would be nice touches too.

Clearly you would need a black neck scarf and toggle to complete the uniform. Socks: knee-length grey either pulled up or rolled down. Footwear: there was RZM-approved footwear for the youth but photos show that all manner of shoes/boots were worn.

"

* see below for more on the correct insignia combination for the summer cap:

Garry, this was an incredibly detailed response...
thank you so much! there is a lot to process, but at least I now have some direction!

No probs. As you acquire the individual parts and begin to put the uniform together I'm sure more information can be added :thumb:

Garry -
a sidecap or overseas cap with green piping? when were they introduced, and how hard are they to find?

Although the HJ visors had a green cord denoting Landjahr service, I don't see anything in the RJF regulations/orders that introduced green cord for the summer cap for Landjahr members. To my knowledge there is only one summer cap on the forum with green cord (see below - posts 4 and 7) and I see there that Wim Saris states that it is Landjahr. He may well have a source showing that to be the case or indeed be mistaken so it might be worth sending him a PM (or wait until he sees this thread). Also, I should correct my statement in post 2 about the "older cap with green piping". This would be the Oberbann 3 type which would not be correct in terms of the Landjahr.

Back