KLV building?

Thanks Received
Good evening everyone,
Just got this photo in which is some sort of KLV building for members to stay at from time to time? Would love to know if the building had a specific purpose.
Is there way to maybe find out about this building and if its still there today?
Thank you for looking
Josh

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi Josh,

This is the Gebietsführerschule (Gebiet leadership school) "Herbert Howarde" Burg Alpen in Gebiet 10 Ruhr-Niederrhein. Here are two pics of it from my leadership school album:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Hi Josh,

The building is also far too ostentatious for the KLV. The children were housed in orphanages, boarding schools, regular school buildings and then later in small groups on farms.
Garry, great that you were able to identify this building so quickly.

The building is strange enough that I remembered it straight away Jack. Looks like a mixture of Art Deco and airfield tower. Pretty it is not although it does look better in white with the eagle than just the brick ;)

Just amazing Gary ! Thank you. Crazy how you recognised it ! It is a pretty specific building. So the building was a school?
And is it still there? Ive tried to look online and cant find much about it

Hi Josh,
Today there is nothing left of the "Jugendburg" designed as a youth hostel and conference centre in 1927 (there's your art deco, Garry!) and built a year later. In 1933, as already mentioned, the house was the Gebietsführerschule Ruhr-Niederrhein, and in 1939 the control centre for the small airfield Bönninghardt (there's the airfield tower :thumb:). After the war Emergency accommodation for displaced persons from the East, the castle was then again a youth hostel until 1965 and was demolished in 1968.

Last edited:
Hi Josh,
Today there is nothing left of the "Jugendburg" designed as a youth hostel and conference centre in 1927 (there's your art deco, Garry!) and built a year later. In 1933, as already mentioned, the house was the Gebietsführerschule Ruhr-Niederrhein, and in 1939 the control centre for the small airfield Bönninghardt (there's the airfield tower :thumb:). After the war Emergency accommodation for displaced persons from the East, the castle was then again a youth hostel until 1965 and was demolished in 1968.
From one photo, just incredible, it turns one photo into a piece to talk about. You 2 need to be wrapped in bubble wrapped becasue you’re so valuable to this site ! Thank you for answering all my questions. Why I absolutely love this site.

Hi, Josh,
I'd rather not. It's so hard to get air in bubble wrap :biggrin1:. Joking aside, too much of an honour - that's the great thing about our forum, that there are so many people with knowledge in different fields of collecting and research - badges, uniforms, triangles, photos, and also history - and how they complement each other to form a unity.

Hi, Josh,
I'd rather not. It's so hard to get air in bubble wrap :biggrin1:. Joking aside, too much of an honour - that's the great thing about our forum, that there are so many people with knowledge in different fields of collecting and research - badges, uniforms, triangles, photos, and also history - and how they complement each other to form a unity.
Its a great place, it really is

I bought a couple more photos luckily that show the same building :)

Attachments

Back