KLV - Kinderlandverschickung - Entsendebogen/Application form

Jack

Thanks Received
So, here is the document mentioned from the extended KLV. The "normal" one already existed in the imperial era for poorly nourished city children, to to get them out into the fresh air in the countryside to gain weight, for a maximum of 3 weeks.
In the 1930s, the project was subordinated to NS-Volkswohlfahrt (People's Welfare) and was for children up to 14 years of age.
The extended version (they didn't want to call it evacuation, although everyone knew that's what it was) after September 1940 also included children over 14 and was under the jurisdiction of the HJ. Stabsführer Möckel was the head of the "Reichsdienststelle KLV". There were fierce battles over responsibility.
The document for the "Erholungswerk" (Recuperation programme) contains, apart from name, DOB, address, the health insurance and personal health details. Our little guy here from Berlin was in good general health and weighed a full 43 kg ! at 1.52 m.
Information on vaccinations, fitness for duty, contagious diseases and vermin (such as lice or fleas) is also requested.
On the back is a table to check growth and weight and the results of the final examination.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Apparently our chap didn't go after all, otherwise the document wouldn't be here.

Attachments

Thanks Jack. Interesting document too. First of these that I've seen. Yes, the kids on a lot of the period photographs do look healthy but almost scarily thin don't they :)

Yeah, Garry. It's also the only copy I know of. No wonder, since they usually disappeared into filing cabinets. So the boy seems not to have made the trip for some reason.
That's the kind of document I love.

Almost scarily thin? I think you're absolutely right. Sometimes even more than that. May I introduce, "The Bone King" from my Sonderzug album. You want to give him an extra ladle of soup ;-).

Attachments

Back