My Hitler Youth knife collection

Hi Speer,

thanks for presenting your collection, the "HJ Fahrtenmesser" was everywhere in our childhood years in the 1960s here in Germany.
The price for an original, or a reproduction was not more than 10,- German Mark, very often we got an original for free, long ago...

Times have changed, collector prices too, so has the passage of time... ;)

Micha

P.S. There was a tool shop in our town, two old ladies were selling there. (The "Hilfers" sisters...) ;)
Knives and airguns were our childhood passion, and if you asked several times, the two old ladies would rummage around in their storage for the old sheath knives from before 1945...

Last edited:
I see my link has been removed, maybe for the better... ;)

The old ladies also sold "long guns" in their shop back then.
Rifles, shotguns, everything was for sale, if the buyer was at least 18 years old.

Handguns were illegal, such as pistols and revolvers, but ammunition was freely available.
So called "weapons of war" were illegal, such as an MP40, or a Sturmgewehr 44.

The stuff was everywhere, whoever had the money and asked for it, was sold the stuff.
Our first MG 42 was less than 500,- german Mark.

On one New Year's Eve we used it to fire old tracer ammunition into the sky.
A cartridge cost less than -.50 Pfennig, a normal price.
A fascination back then, I now stay away from such weapons for good reason.

If there's a bang and a bang here in the Rhine/Main area on New Year's Eve, then we know what's being shot at there.
I have nothing to do with any of this anymore.

Micha

I see my link has been removed, maybe for the better... ;)

If a link to a militaria dealer's page has no direct bearing on the matter at hand I routinely remove them. It's never meant personally. I do the same with links to pages that contain incorrect information and also pages where we have better information/resources for collectors.

The old Hitler Youth sheath knives were common property, normal, whatever we boys bought we got.

The sheath knife was expensive, with the scabbard.

Boys from humble families could not afford such things, not even a simple pocket knife.
People just didn't have the money.
My first "Swiss Army Knife" was a Christmas present, nobody in our circle of friends owned one, the pocket knife of the time was a sensation, but that was a long time ago...

Micha
P.S. The grandfather wore a Swiss watch, for the grandson it was a Swiss army knife, the old traditional shit, what can you say about that...

Last edited:
A great collection and the knives are always nice to look at. I myself only have three from the production periods.

A wonderful collection, congratulations.

Could you tell us more?

What is your favorite piece?

Are you looking for a specific manufacturer?

Back