Quick question on trumpet banner designs?

Thanks Received
Hello all
Someone here may be able to help me out with this. (Jack im waiting lol)
I see different designs on the back of trumpet banners, different animals or different logos.
I have this photo below and cant really find much in the way of this animal means this area etc. (of course I can see his triangle but would help in the future)
Any info would be much appreciated
Thank you

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Another for example

Attachments

Oh, how nice that you just picked the lion that is so rare lol. Seriously, it's difficult, especially as you can only see it in black and white. For me, the striding lion bears a strong resemblance to the Wettin heraldic animal, i.e. the Margraviate of Meissen.
With the winged creature - probably a griffin - I really have a hard time assigning it to a territory. Especially since Niedersachsen/Lower Saxony is on his triangle, but this heraldic animal is hardly widespread there, in contrast to Pomerania and Silesia, for example.

So what do you think? Anyone could buy any designs? Or maybe bought for a specific event and used after?
I used a colour app online, its not perfect, but it is nice to see.

Attachments

The other

Attachments

Nice, but I meant more the original colours. Everything has its meaning in heraldry. When the lion looks at you, it is no longer a lion, but a leopard. At least in heraldry. You can imagine what that means for some state coats of arms. Nothing with a lion :biggrin1:.
It is similarly complicated with the colours. If you know them, the search is so much easier.
Back to your question: No, you couldn't use those banners as you pleased. There was always a historical connection to the respective region. This followed tradition (as did the Bann numbers) and was determined high up in the hierarchy as to which symbols were to be used.
Meißen lions, for example, are often found in the current or former domain of the Wettin dynasty.

Nice, but I meant more the original colours. Everything has its meaning in heraldry. When the lion looks at you, it is no longer a lion, but a leopard. At least in heraldry. You can imagine what that means for some state coats of arms. Nothing with a lion :biggrin1:.
It is similarly complicated with the colours. If you know them, the search is so much easier.
Back to your question: No, you couldn't use those banners as you pleased. There was always a historical connection to the respective region. This followed tradition (as did the Bann numbers) and was determined high up in the hierarchy as to which symbols were to be used.
Meißen lions, for example, are often found in the current or former domain of the Wettin dynasty.
Thank you Jack

The back was free (Rückseite freigestellt). What was to be used was on the choice and traditions-respect
of the HJ or DJ High Command. One could not simply use a personal design officially!
And who allocated people? Highranking HJ officers? And could you apply for a design for your unit?

And who allocated people? Highranking HJ officers? And could you apply for a design for your unit?

The change came in July 1937. From then on, any designs for the blank side of the fanfare banner had to be submitted to the Department of Culture (Kulturabteilung) at Gebiet-level. Once approved, these designs (preferably heraldic town or city coats of arms) could then be applied to the cloth. I'm sure that most units complied but three years later the RJF was still complaining and saying that the RZM continued to receive orders to apply "ridiculous" designs and that this was to stop.

The symbol is the so-called "Vogel Greif".

Greif: Greif – Wikipedia

This mythical symbol was very popular here in Germany as early as the 19th century.

My great-grandfather was a trained wood turner and woodcarver, he used this motif several times for bookends, for example, and other objects.
I might be able to post photos here later, unfortunately I don't have these photos here at the moment.

My great-grandfather was related to the wood sculptor Wilhelm Kunst, who is well-known here in the german north.
There he learned his craft.

Wilhelm Kunst: Wilhelm Kunst (Holzbildhauer) – Wikipedia

Micha
P.S. The "Vogel Greif" stood for vigilance and strength, and thus fitted perfectly into the ideology of the time.

Last edited:
Addendum:

There were the "Vogelgreif" and the "Löwengreif", both mythical beings represented strength and vigilance.

They were usually depicted as a pair, as in my great-grandfather's bookends.
That just as a small note.

I cannot and do not want to contribute more to this topic. ;)

Micha

P.S. Fabeltier Greif - Einblick in die Welt eines Mischwesens:
(Mythical creature griffin - insight into the world of a mixed creature)

Link to the PDF file: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjS8___19v-AhUM26QKHVahCfIQFnoECCoQAQ&url=https://www.maerchenstiftung.ch/custom/data/ckeditorfiles/MF91Greif.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0WzKzEyhdxRqCnq89ZmpN0

Four pages, download size is 9.56 Megabyte.

Last edited:
Back