Rust on hanger snap - 1936 knife by Tiger

Thanks Received
Hi everyone, I’ve recently obtained a 1936 knife by Tiger. It’s a little salty but so am I, so it’s perfect for me.

Anyway, the hanger snap has a little bit of surface rust on both pieces which is keeping it from closing all the way. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely remove the rust so the snap can close? I don’t want to do anything that will affect the leather, so I’m being very cautious. I really appreciate any advice.

Not to worry, I am not touching any other part of the knife or scabbard.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Unfortunately I can't help you there, but I think the knife is beautiful as it is. I would leave it that way and leave the lock open.

I would carefully try with a lightly oiled cotton bud to see if the rust layer can be loosened or reduced. But do not touch the leather!

If you are successful in closing the snap be very careful when unsnapping in the future. These old tight button snaps have caused many tears and other damage to the leather if one is not cautious. I use a small flat blade screwdriver inserted between the "male" and "female" portions of the snap to twist it open without stressing the leather.

wd40 & dremel tool they make a round white soft buffing pad & a pointed one that wont leave a mark, as I have took some rust off a early matching k98, no marks at all left, and took a rust spot off a early SMF HJ knife size of a dime off the pommel wont leave a mark if you use the soft white disk or pointed one, dont have any of them attachments left to show you @ the moment. BTW nice, HJ knife!

Back