Were HJ ever authorized to wear silver eagle cap badge instead of regular HJ cap badge?

Thanks Received
REPOST

Hans Christian was born in Berlin in 1930. In his five volume semi-autobiographical series he covers his life in the HJ through the fall of Berlin beyond through the eyes of his character Karl Veth. He was appointed a sub-leader in a
KLV
camp. As the Soviets advanced, the SS
made use of his extensive knowledge of 'the back' part of the U-Bahn system using him as a 'subway rat' during combat.

That's enough background to set the story I guess. At some point in his HJ career he's permitted to replace his HJ cap badge with the silver eagle cap badge. In the book the significance of this isn't explained. There is simply a vague comment that it was in recognition of Karl's superior abilities, presumably in training. But it is highly unusual and it's commented on by various people over the course of the series.

So the obvious question is: what's the big deal? I figured if anyone knows it's you guys.

Thank you in advance!

This thread was moved from another location and the original deleted.

Thank you Wilhelm! You've confirmed that this really happened. Obviously I wasn't certain which is why I searched for supporting information. Knowing that I will search for the relevant regulations. Much appreciated!

I've got some time on my hands at the moment so I'll dig around. I suspect it's already on the forum somewhere though.

Parts of a text I never published, as it was planned for a headgear-series (footnotes are not included):

All ranks, except Hitler-Junge, were allowed to wear the early pattern NSDAP eagle form, manufactured from a cheaper materiĀ­al, in conĀ­necĀ­tion with the HJdiamond, since early SepĀ­tember 1933. Oneshould note that the wearing of a visored cap of headĀ­dress - with manyoccasions - was far from standard in the HJ. The eagle for example was notincluded in the well-known ā€œDie Uniformen der HJā€ from 1933, nor in the1934-version. In the ā€œVerordnungsblatt der RJF (HJ)ā€ it was said as: ā€œtheinsignia for the HJ for the cap (which was the diamond) with prongs is to beworn in the middle of the upper front. All kinds of HJ-leaders do wear insteadof the diamond the Hoheitszeichen. The HJ-diamond is to be worn in themiddle of the cap band, above the visor!ā€ With this as HJ-leaders were noted: Kameradschafts-,Schar-, Gefolgschafts- and UnterbannfĆ¼hrer.

Higher ranked HJ-leaders from BannfĆ¼hrer and upwards did wear this eagle form also of course, but from a better quality material. In fact this was the same eagle as worn by political leaders, the SA (consult volume 3, the chapter Politische Leiter der NSDAP, p.29 and chapter SA der NSDAP, pp.258-259), as well as the AllgemĀ­eine-SS and in the earliest beginnings of the Nat.Soz.Kraftfahrkorps (see voluĀ­me 4, respectively pp.29-32 and p.206). It would take until 1936 when headgear was worn in general by enlisted HJ ranks when the field-cap was introduced.

Back