When was the first pattern Deutsches Jungvolk "DJV" membership badge phased out?

Thanks Received
DJV badge marked Ges Gesch .. this one started off like a shiney penny , where have you been in the last 80 -90 years my enameled friend ? :001_rolleyes:
Question for the knowledgeable members on the HJ Research Forum , was the DJV changed to the DJ around 1931 or was it within the ReOrg of 1933 ?
I searched the Wiki , but I am still somewhat adrift as to the date the organization simply became the DJ . Thank you !

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

A few Micro shots .. enjoy !

Attachments

Nice badge Jimmy. I really like the type 1s. I remember reading an early regulation where the RJF was whinging about the incorrect use of terminology. In it they state that the abbreviation is DJ and not anything else. I'll have a look for it now.

Edit: actually the order was a bit later than I thought. It came out in April 1936. There was a lot of unofficial stuff going on like the use of "Kafü" instead of Kameradschaftsführer or "Fafü" etc. People often used "JV" in letters and local orders instead of "DJ" and so on and were told not in this 1936 RJF order.

Anyway, the "V" will have been removed from the badge for the same reason but years earlier. Certainly in the 1933 NSDAP pamphlet "Aufbau und Abzeichen der NSDAP" the badge does not have the "V":

I would think that the DJV badges date to 1932/3 but the DJ began life inside the Hitler Youth in 1931 as you know and very little is known about their insignia in those early days so this badge may even date back to 1931/2.

Attachments

Thanks for taking the time to check the RJF order , Garry !
Certainly an early badge , perhaps the DJV badges were around into 33 and some stocks used up but production was shut down in favour of the DJ badges as shown in the 1933 Aufbau und Abzeichen der NSDAP . :thumbup1:

It is practically impossible to give an exact date to the Deutsches Jungvolk-badge, having
the abbreviation DJV, but it was once anyway the official version (see image, which mentions
the "amtliche Abzeichen"). The booklet must be from about 1932, as the round badge for
the NS.Frauenschaft was finally abolished in mid-1932. The DJV-badge existed simultaneously
with the HJ-badge with sunrays, as well as the diamond-form. Booklets from the period are
NOT consequent. In booklets from 1933 there is always the DJ-abbreviation.

With an announcement from December 7, 1931 the various early badges were noted,
published in the Verordnungsblatt der NSDAP.
The Jungvolk-version then was only allowed to be made by F. Hofstätter and included
ges.gesch. NO image was included, so one cannot verify if there was a DJV or DJ-
abbreviation.

Attachments

Very interesting and thanks for including the Amtliche Abzeichen listing !
This gives me a few other avenues to look into . :yo:

Looking further in my material I see now that in the well-known permanent
Assmann-cataloque the DJV is listed, but not the DJ version. The numbering
learns me the DJV badge is a 1932 version. Why did Assmann not include
the DJ pattern? It will always remaine a question!

Further I have seen the DJ badge was shown in an Austrian price-list from
about 1933. But what was very remarkable was that the sigrune was not
vertical, but horizontally positioned. A designers mistake? Was it ever
manufactured this way? Another question!

Yes , I see the DJV (21979)in the Assman catalogue ... had the catalogue sitting on my bookshelf and did not even check it ! :blink: Thank you for pointing that out .

Certainly , an Austrian Badge with a horizontal sigrune would be very odd and a rarity if it was produced. Interesting to note .

I think 1932 for that removal of "V" too. Here is that Assman u. Söhne picture just for all who don not have it.

Attachments

I think 1932 for that removal of "V" too. Here is that Assman u. Söhne picture just for all who don not have it.

This picture from Assmann started to be there in 1935/1936, as that was when their
permanent catalogues were printed. In later issues it also was included as for example 1937.

Checking my material it must have been 1933 as when the V disappeared. As mentioned
before an exact date cannot be pinned! We are looking for exact evidence.......
None of the versions was included in "Die Uniformen der HJ" from 1933 and "Bekleidung
und Ausrüstung der HJ" from 1934.

In spring 1933 I do find the abbrevations DJV and JV in the Verordnungsblatt. DJ was said
in fall 1933 in the same source and one can see with the forms of stamps for the units.

Good stuff ! Your time and consideration is greatly appreciated. A wonderfully designed early badge regardless of his date of conception. :001_smile:
Hopefully we can add to this thread if any new information becomes available.

Here is an article Jo had found while researching the Frontbann Abzeichen , from the August 13 / 1933 edition of the Berliner Illustriete Zeitung . Here we see a display of badges from Berlin makers with the DJ badge included.

Attachments

Nice. Based on the evidence 1933 is looking good for the changeover from DJV to DJ.

But still remains the question why the permanent Assmann-catalogue,
always included the badge with DJV? Not even in addendum-pages it
was changed.

Here the version of the badge with the horizontal sigrune from an Austrian
price-list:

and here the most important badges for the nazi-party, as published in the
Mitteilungbslatt der Reichszeugmeisterei from June 9, 1934:

Attachments

But still remains the question why the permanent Assmann-catalogue,
always included the badge with DJV? Not even in addendum-pages it
was changed.
Here is an odd thing about Assmann , they are known to have produced early Parteiabzeichen transitional badges ( pre RZM ) with the Assmann name on the reverse or their Metallabzeichen number (17) and Ges Gesch . When the full transition to the RZM comes around .. poof ! ... Assmann does not produce enamel Parteiabzeichen and in fact only returns to produce painted Zinc Parteiabzeichen later near the end of the war . This is all mentioned in The Party Badge / Rivett ( pg 181 ) . So , does Assmann leave the DJ badge ( as well as the HJ Arbeiter )in the catalogue as a reminder that the firma produced these badges in the past ? Is Assmann ignorant of the ongoing changes in the small badge world as they have stepped away to produce other items ? Does Assmann simply not give a damn about the lowly member badges and just leaves them in the catalogue ?
Curious indeed ! An answer we may never know .

Here the version of the badge with the horizontal sigrune from an Austrian
price-list:

Haha ! This must be a misprint ... the DJ kid that got this badge would have been pissed off I am sure . :mad2:

Back