Which WHW tinnie ??

cemifor

Thanks Received
On 20 February 1936, NSDAP Ortsgruppe Kopenhagen sends a receipt to HJ Standort Kopenhagen for selling WHW tinnies [Nageln] on the "Tag der Machtergreifung 1934/1936".

Any idea which tinnie it is ??

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I believe it was a competition that raised the money. A common game back in those days, and still in some parts on Europe today, called "Nageln"
You have a tree stump, about waist high, and hammer a nail into it, just so it stands up. They you give the hammer to the person who bets he can hammer the nail completely into the stump, in three goes.

So it would be like at a fun fair. Thats the kind of game it is, we still have it over here, but in Pubs and Winterskihütten, great for drunk people who believe they can do it. And so each person that tries, pays a certain amount to "try". Of course it is much more difficult than it sounds, so almsot nobody actually wins.

This is more than likely what this was, a game of Nageln, organized by a certain group of HJ, to collect money. This letter is just the person sending the confirmation of the total collected amount by the HJ for that game.

If you win, there would have been a nominal prize, but in this case it was more about offering "something" to collect money, instead of just standing on a corner shaking a tin.

From Militaria Plaza - WW2 Collectibles

"Wooden Shield. Made for charity by the Hitler Youth collecting for the Winter Relief, for every nail 5 Reichspfennig was donated and the nail was hammered into the wooden shield. The wooden shield is showing the HJ logo. A lot of nails are missing and the shield is in heavily used condition. The shield is approximately sized 63 x 33 cms. This shield has been found in a barn near Munich. Nice and decorative original item." [Sold, 200 Euro]"

... and here, sold by Ratisbons
https://www.hj-research.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48949&d=1479304361

Attachments

Then it`s just coincidence that the game Nageln is called that :) It is, also really more a game for drunken people.

Yes, definitely what Cemifor says but I've played the drinking game "nails" that Jo mentioned many times. Good fun but I refuse to play it with women because after fifteen minutes of missing, tittering about missing and saying "oh I'm so useless" you just want to rip the hammer out of their hand, say "yes, you ###king are!"" and hit their nail for them :))

Back