3.5X5" HOCHSCHULSPORT LEISTUNGSABZEICHEN Berlin?

There's one on the Helmut Weitze site for 180E. Picture looks right. Don't know about the size. No size stamp. No information. I guess that there are a few out there. Doug

Sear Douglas,

thank you for your mail. Well tzhis is a badge for the sportsmatch of the Berlin Hochschulen ( Schools which are equal to universities )

We do not know when and how often these matches had been held.

This is all we know about it.

Best regards,
Kay Max Brueggemann
Helmut Weitze Company

phone Germany / 40 / 35 27 61
fax Germany / 40 / 35 35 63

tax id / Umsatzsteuer Id. Nr. DE 118954917
e-mail info@weitze.com

Not much here. I don't know if the Littlejohn is actually based on some kind of factual information or just a WAG like I have come up with. The High School thing is not right. I don't know. At least we know it is real and that there is more than just one out there. I would love to see one in wear. Mine may be the only one with the "Klein" stamp as the others have said that theirs have no such stamp. None of the others I have seen yet have had their size noted so maybe some are this size and others are some other larger size? Interesting. Seems like others are amused as well. Doug

It is original. A couple of years back, I had an extensive (and if I say so myself, excellent) grouping to a student at the Berlin Technical University. The grouping included one of these badges. All acquired privately by one of my sources in Germany. To see the photos, follow the link (Proficiency Badge shown on p.2): Extensive Document Grouping - Studentenbund, Marine-SA, Heer; etc.

I didn't see one of these patches in the grouping. Maybe it's my old eyes. Got any pictures or sizes of these patches? Thanks Doug

I didn't see one of these patches in the grouping. Maybe it's my old eyes. Got any pictures or sizes of these patches? Thanks Doug

O! Click on page 2? Duh? Wow! Hell of a grouping. Twice as cheap at half the price. Even cheap old me would of sprung for that one. Very nice. Thanks again Doug

What Weitze says is partly supported by the references I've been reading. I say partly because there were two levels of student championships: the normal competitions where universities competed against each other and a second level where those who needed to pass the achievement test to permit study into the fourth semester took part. I still feel that these patches were awarded to the second group but I haven't as yet found a document making a direct link. What is there does however point strongly in that direction.

What Weitze says is partly supported by the references I've been reading. I say partly because there were two levels of student championships: the normal competitions where universities competed against each other and a second level where those who needed to pass the achievement test to permit study into the fourth semester took part. I still feel that these patches were awarded to the second group but I haven't as yet found a document making a direct link. What is there does however point strongly in that direction.

Interesting. I have no special knowledge but I have been to University here. If there was a physical fitness requirement to continue studies there I would find it kind of hard to believe that there would be an achievement award for it. You would of either passed or failed and your studies would continue or not depending. Representing your school in competition with other similar schools is kind of a big deal at school and there would be some recognition of that. In the lovely grouping of stuff above there were two patches pictured. One kind of looked like a stylized eagle in a shield of about the same size as my patch. That may of represented some specific school and worn with the other patch so show achievement in sporting events between schools. Just a few random thoughts. Thanks for all your research. Doug

Well, period sources show that there was a requirement at the end of the third semester to pass testing in order to continue into the fourth semester. That test is called 'Leistungsprüfung' in those period sources as I said earlier and the patch says 'Leistungsabzeichen' so awarding the patch to a successful student during achievement testing seems more logical to me than the winner of the 100m dash at a student championships receiving the same patch in recognition of his win. As I say though, I haven't found sufficient proof to nail it one way or the other yet. It may turn out to be something completely different but it's enjoyable trying to find that answer :)

Anything new and exciting?

Just ran onto a Studentenbund sportshirt eagle. Way beyond my budget. Looks cool though. Any of you guys got one I might be able to trade into. I have a lot of stuff. Doug

Yes. The 'Hochschulsportordnung' was introduced on the 30th of October 1934 (revised 24th of April 1935). There had been a programme in existence prior to this which was introduced in 1933 but the October 1934 regulation formalised and expanded physical training and sport so 'Hochschulsport' and swastika would be correct for the patch.

Still haven't found anything concrete on the achievement test though but still looking. Certainly what I've been reading suggests strongly, as I said above. that successful completion of the test at the end of the third semester seems a good candidate for the award of this achievement patch.

Back