Dr. Karl Lapper HJ Uniform

Thanks Received
hi fellow collectors, This uniform walked into a military shop in Kansas by the veterans son, I recently acquired it and want to share it.Named to Dr. Karl Lapper

Oh my God , I am in awe ..... FANTASTIC ... thank you for sharing .

Spectacular looking tunic. Insignia alone is very difficult to obtain let alone on a tunic that appears to have not been messed with.

Oops.. Hit the enter button to soon.
Indeed difficult insignia! En indeed a very, verrry nice tunic.
Well done!

STUNNING HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING THIS NICE IN AWHILE, The shoulders are a study note well the detail quality and appearance of them for future reference. :canada1

This is an odd one. The tunic shows the rank of Obergebietsführer but Dr Karl Lapper appears to have been honourably discharged from the Hitler Youth in 1944 in the rank of Hauptbannführer1.

Lapper's promotions:

Bannführer 1/1937
Oberbannführer 4/1937
Hauptbannführer (had been promoted to this rank by 2/1939 certainly)

In July 1939, Lapper moved to the Reich Propaganda office under Goebbels. Various appointments followed but none of them were with the Hitler Youth.

Lapper finished his NSDAP career in Gau Kärnten where he was the commissarial head of the Reich/Gau propaganda office. At this point he still held the HJ rank of Hauptbannführer.

1Buddrus, Totale Erziehung für den Totalen Krieg p 1176

Garry, is it possible that an Oberbannführer could be serving as a Obergebietsführer and wearing this insignia? I know the Saris reference mentions this, don't have the book handy at the moment to cite the section or page.

Hi Darin,

The rank of Hauptbannführer is within the rank range permissible for appointment as Gebietsführer but the rank on the uniform is Obergebietsführer. Bearing in mind that he appears not to have held a post within the HJ after 1939 it seems most odd that this rank would be present on his uniform. If he was indeed appointed to such a position it will need to be shown by a reliable reference. I don't see him as having reached any rank higher than Hauptbannführer and his later appointments were within the SS and NSDAP. Having said all of that, the tunic stands until it can be shown unequivocally that the rank insignia is incorrect for Dr Lapper.

This is an odd one. The tunic shows the rank of Obergebietsführer but Dr Karl Lapper appears to have been honourably discharged from the Hitler Youth in 1944 in the rank of Hauptbannführer1.

Lapper's promotions:

Bannführer 1/1937
Oberbannführer 4/1937
Hauptbannführer (had been promoted to this rank by 2/1939 certainly)

In July 1939, Lapper moved to the Reich Propaganda office under Goebbels. Various appointments followed but none of them were with the Hitler Youth.

Lapper finished his NSDAP career in Gau Kärnten where he was the commissarial head of the Reich/Gau propaganda office. At this point he still held the HJ rank of Hauptbannführer.

1Buddrus, Totale Erziehung für den Totalen Krieg p 1176

Hello Garry,

I have a relevant question. Are we sure whether it is Dr. Lapper ?.
I'm not sure to see two "P" on the label of tailor .....!

Another thing that bothers me: The " Dienstrock " is dated June 1938 !!!!!.
As you said Garry, it is impossible that it had a promotion so quickly because he had the rank of Oberbannfuhrer in 1937/1938.

I guarantee the "Dienstrock", their shoulder boards , the RJF triangle and the armband which are splendid.

Out of curiosity, I made a research with the address of the trader of uniforms " Max Maetzulat " .
The shop was situated in Luxemburger Straße 1, in the corner of Müller Straße.
The building did not too much suffer during the war and luckily, it always exists . The owner is a pharmacist now.

Best Regards

Eric

Indeed Eric. A Hauptbannführer could be appointed to the position of Gebietsführer and one example of this would be Hugo Bald who took command of Gebiet 42 Süd-Westfalen as an Oberbannführer in 1942 (promoted to Hauptbannführer in post in Jan 1944). However, from the 1st of September 1934 onwards, Obergebietsführer was a rank and not an appointment as you know so if this is Lapper's uniform the rank makes no sense. The name on the label certainly appears to be "Dr. Lapper" though.

Back