Sportbuch des HJ-Führers (Führersportabzeichen)

Part Two

Gefolgschaftsführer Schöne is appointed leader of Bann and Jungbann 419 Bornhöved.

The leader of the HJ-Bann visits the units of the Jungstamm Bornhöved. Fähnlein 7/419 (Jungzug 1) arrives in Bornhöved at 9 a.m. in winter service dress. The other Fähnleins will line up at their places: 6/419 Rickling, 8/419 Krems II and 9/419 Berlin.

13./14.06.1942

The HJ Stamm II/419 Bornhöved takes part in the Bannsportfest of Bann 419 Bornhöved in Neumünster.

03./04.07.1943

In Neumünster, the Hitler Youth of Neumünster and Segeberg take part in a comparison competition as part of the Bannsportfest. Bann 419 and 822 Bornhöved take part.

Gefolgschaft 7/822 of the Hitler Youth line up for roll call with the Bannführer at 8.30 p.m. in Bornhöved.

And that was it. As informative as it was up to 1939, it was just as poor in the wartime.

Good stuff Jack. Many thanks, Here's what I had in my list for 419:

This content can only be viewed by: Blue Group members.
I also have nothing currently post-1940. For 1944 I always insert the name/rank shown in the SHAEF report and if I am able to confirm that data, I add "Bann," before it. I haven't yet been able to confirm Storm as being in post in 1944. I have found that if the SHAEF list names someone it is usually the leader in 1943 but it contains a lot of errors.

Yes, unfortunately the 3 May 1944 entry only says "Appell mit dem Bannführer", no name.
As I wrote over at the bann numbers, the joint events at least suggest that both 419 and 822 could have been led by the same person (Storm?). Let's see if that can be confirmed somehow.

Yes indeed. I have no coverage at all for Gebiet 6 in terms of Gebietsbefehle which is a shame as they would show exactly what happened. However, it's more fun sometimes to find the information in different ways.

Considering that Bornhöved - the namesake of Bann 419 - has only formed Gefolgschaft/Fähnlein 7 in the new Bann 822 since 1943, this suggests that 419 must have been renamed, possibly Neumünster. It is a shame that this is not yet certain, but it is at least a working hypothesis.
The Segeberger Zeitung would certainly provide information, since only the news concerning Schmalenberg has been used here.

Hello GARRY and Jack
something new for your resarch , K- Bann Führer Zimmermann (Stammführer )
Bann 727 Sinsheim (Süd Baden) from the 1942/5/29
I hope it can help

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Many thanks Bertrand. I had his name in my list for Bann 727 in that year but not his rank so that's great :thumb:

Thank you very much from me too, Bertrand! Even if the name is already known, the date, for example, can be helpful because it may extend the term of office of a leader known until then.
Maybe a few more will keep their eyes open, because there are of course still many gaps. But it's great that Garry has tackled this challenge at all!

Thank you very much from me too, Bertrand! Even if the name is already known, the date, for example, can be helpful because it may extend the term of office of a leader known until then.
Maybe a few more will keep their eyes open, because there are of course still many gaps. But it's great that Garry has tackled this challenge at all!
Wow, what fantastic article/post, out of so little information, so much research and history uncovered. Well done Jack,Garry and Bertrand. I must learn to read German.

Best regards....Ewan

FRom Bann 61 Berlin

Cheers
Bertrand

Attachments

I observe that the number of holders decreases with the years, it drops sharply from 1942-43

That's true Bertrand. Our list shows badge number 15205 being awarded in 1943 and that's still the highest serial number known to me.

If it is of any use, the name of the Bannführer is Balke. I'm back ;)

Merci Bertrand.
The fact that the award figures were very much in decline is not surprising in view of the war. After all, in January 1940 there was already a shortage of 25,000 leaders at Bann level, i.e. between 40 and 70 men per Bann.
And according to a Hitler decree of December 1939, no HJ leaders born in 1910 and younger who were fit for military service were allowed to be exempted from this duty at all.
This lack of personnel and the overload of the remaining substitute leaders (K-Führer), who had more important things to do than earning this sports badge, namely to prevent the organisation from collapsing in the first place, are certainly reasons for the rapid decrease in the number of awards.

I agree with Jack. Interestingly, Gebiet 27 Wien was still pushing the leader pentathlon in 1944. I haven't found another example of this happening so late into the war but it can't have been happening often.

Attachments

Yes, it always depended on the personality of the respective boss to what extent such measures were still carried out despite the war. Your example guy with the decathlon seems to have been just as keen on duty ("ein Scharfer") as the one with the haircut story. But as you said, certainly very rare cases.

Back