BlackWatch New HJ/DJ/BDM Photo Pick-ups

Nice view of HJ Hakenkreuz Musician Swallow's Nests. Anyone familiar with the tinnie on the HJ's breast pocket or why part of his armband is covered over? Circa 1933?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Thought this would be a nice photo for this thread. Just got it in. Love the. small details like the small pots of paint on the table. Would love to have one of them posters on my wall !

It looks very much like they are designing posters for a recruitment week.
"Come to us" and "Join the BDM", it says.

Hi BlackWatch1,

Many thanks for these photos, in the years of my collections about the German youth associations, the few photos of the "Deutsche Kinderschar" were never present.

Just over ten years ago I knew absolutely nothing about it at all.

Certainly still a very sensitive topic today, some eyewitnesses are certainly still alive.
I personally don't know of any German documentation on this topic, the topic was hardly known.

In my photo collection there are certainly more than 500 photos of the very early HJ associations, your above photo material leaves me somewhat speechless... (y)

Micha

You do ot even have wonderful historical pictures - you also must have eagle´s eyes to find such smalland interesting details .
You gave us an absolutely interesting thread and I love your pictures !
Thank you! I scan my images at 1200 ppi which allows me to see as much is possible. It is a very interesting hobby for sure.

Hi BlackWatch1,

Many thanks for these photos, in the years of my collections about the German youth associations, the few photos of the "Deutsche Kinderschar" were never present.

Just over ten years ago I knew absolutely nothing about it at all.

Certainly still a very sensitive topic today, some eyewitnesses are certainly still alive.
I personally don't know of any German documentation on this topic, the topic was hardly known.

In my photo collection there are certainly more than 500 photos of the very early HJ associations, your above photo material leaves me somewhat speechless... (y)

Micha
Thank you! I have about 1200 photos ready on my computer for repair. I just have to find the time! I have more original Deutsche Kinderschar in that collection. Here is a random image of a made up uniform with toy rifle I cleaned up today :)

Attachments

Deutsche Kinderschar. Did what I could to clean up the image.

Attachments

Deutsche Kindershar on photo paper with a pebbled texture finish.

Attachments

New photo just in, really nice and early DJ group shot. Love the beer advertisement signs.
Also to note, the early runes with piping round the edges of the rune :)

Attachments

Hi Strumble69,

The signs of the "Bodensteiner Bier" brewery that can be seen speak for the Magdeburg region.
This regional brand still exists today, one of the thousands of regional breweries, still relatively unknown here in western Germany.

East German beer was, and is famous for its quality, I have nothing to add... ;)

Micha
P.S. The old advertisement was and is always a nice hint to be able to classify old photos at least regionally, very nice! (y)

Historie / Die Geschichte der Brauerei Bodenstein: Historie - Bodensteiner Bier

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi BlackWatch1,

do you know anything about the background of your photo in post # 72..?
The photo looks to me personally like a photomontage. :unsure:

I would be grateful for further information about this picture...

Greetings to beautiful Canada, I was at CFB Shilo / Manitoba in 1979 with the german Bundeswehr. ("Leopard" tank training)
It was a very nice time, the endless expanse of your country made a lasting impression on me..! (y)

CFB Shilo: CFB Shilo – Wikipedia

Micha

P.S. Photo # 73: It would be usual for the girls to be trained by older "Schwestern" in how to do things by hand, how simple everything was, foot operated sewing machines and simple lawn chairs, very nice photo! ;)
Unfortunately, I can't identify the sister's "Tracht" at the time, which is a pity...

Last edited:
Hi BlackWatch1,

do you know anything about the background of your photo in post # 72..?
The photo looks to me personally like a photomontage. :unsure:

I would be grateful for further information about this picture...

Greetings to beautiful Canada, I was at CFB Shilo / Manitoba in 1979 with the german Bundeswehr. ("Leopard" tank training)
It was a very nice time, the endless expanse of your country made a lasting impression on me..! (y)

CFB Shilo: CFB Shilo – Wikipedia

Micha

P.S. Photo # 73: It would be usual for the girls to be trained by older "Schwestern" in how to do things by hand, how simple everything was, foot operated sewing machines and simple lawn chairs, very nice photo! ;)
Unfortunately, I can't identify the sister's "Tracht" at the time, which is a pity...
Hello! Unfortunately, I do not have information on this photograph as it is one of many thousand or million random photographs that have ended up on the web for sale by dealers without background information. Ah yes, Manitoba. I'm glad you survived the massive Mosquito population. I was in the Canadian Army in the 80's and spent time in Alberta. The Mosquitoes were massive and hungry :canada1

Hi BlackWatch1,

" I do not have information on this photograph as it is one of many thousand or million random photographs that have ended up on the web for sale by dealers without background information".

That's exactly the problem, collectors buy every photo without knowing the story behind all these photos.
The few hundred photos in my photographic collection on the subject of the Hitler Youth have at least a regional connection.

As late as the 1990s, there were still many discarded photo albums from before 1945.
DJ, HJ, BDM, RADwJ, just to name a few.

Of course, it wasn't legal to salvage these old "treasures" from the waste paper, but after that, a good 30 years later, nobody crows...
It was a hobby, a pastime, my then girlfriend Petra dove deep into these waste paper containers.
She earned a second salary with the books and photos from these containers, at the weekends at the german flea markets.

Much of what we found was hard to believe, but that's another, and very long story... ;)

Micha
P.S. Four photo albums of a later staff doctor in the Wehrmacht were special.
From his youth, through the Hitler Youth, to his later assignment as a surgeon in front hospitals.
It was also photographed during operations at that time, these B/W pictures are not very good to look at.

* There are photos of hanged "partisans" in his albums, and on the next page the officers and their nurses were sunning themselves under the distant Russian sun...
Very bad photos, but typical for those years.

Last edited:
Families threw and threw things away, even today, they no longer understand these photos.
The descendants see no value in it, it was and is old stuff, worthless.

Instead of finally burning the old crap, like I would, it all ends up in a recycling bin.
One is comfortable, one makes it easy for oneself, even today.

You wouldn't believe how many old and more than valuable historical books are here in a cardboard box on the street every day. "To give away!" ;)

In the 1990s, I had no job, living from social welfare money.
I worked as a "voluntary", in a local nursing home for very old people.

A very old lady there gave me her husband's entire photographic estate, in a tin box, about 150+ photos.
The man was a soldier of "naval artillery" who took part in both battles for the city of Sevastopol.

The man had a very good camera, photography was his hobby at the time.

Here is his best own photo, taken in Romania, on the train journey to Sevastopol.
Inscribed "Zigeunerkinder" in pencil on the reverse.

The husband and photographer died in psychiatry in the 1970s, his widow having outlived her beloved husband by many decades.
I was supposed to throw away the tin can with his photos, that's how I got to know the old lady.
All 150 photos are still here today, the pictures were not thrown away.

P.S. The series with the three ragged boys contains three photos.
Maybe the other two photos later...
This photo has been widely abused online. I don't care, the pictures were a gift, whatever some idiots make of it.

Attachments

Last edited:
His widow told me, that after 1945 her husband was mentally ill.
The man could not overcome the war.

You can see it in the man in the photos taken after 1945.
A half-starved, very petite man, with a chef's hat and a cooking spoon, in the kitchen for the Canadians/British.

Today I understand very well, why the man was fed up, he just couldn't take it anymore, it was all too much.

In later years, the man turned the proverbial wheel completely.
He ended up in a closed psychiatric ward, and the man was buried anonymously. His widow did not even remember the place of the burial at that time.

A German life, like unfortunately very many...

Why am I writing all this here...

Because it touched me personally, that's the only reason.

I remember my father Bob, telling about Vietnam.
The old gentleman, a typical American, everything was fine, we fought the north, the damn communists in Hanoi.

Visitor to the Vietnam Memorial every year, putting down flowers for his fallen comrades.

More than 3 million Vietnamese killed, were never worth a single word to my American father.

It is, like it is, we all have to accept it.

Micha

* Although I have little to do with this father today, I am ashamed of this father.

Back